• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC appeals ruling that they have the authority to order environmental cleanup

DistrictDeacon

Reaction score
State regulators are joining with Duke Energy in appealing a judge’s ruling on cleaning up groundwater pollution from the company’s coal ash dumps. The state Environmental Management Commission filed notice on Monday that it would appeal a March 6 ruling by a superior court judge, Paul Ridgeway. The commission and Duke contend that state law does not give the state the authority to order an immediate cleanup. Judge Ridgeway ruled the commission appointed by Gov. Pat McCrory and Republican legislative leaders had been misinterpreting the law for years. Mr. McCrory, a Republican, worked for Duke more than 28 years before retiring and running for governor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/u...module=Recommendation&src=recg&pgtype=article

The McCrory administration is the most openly corrupt I can remember. And that's saying something given the corruption we've seen in this states government.

I'm sure it's a total coincidence that McCrory used to work for Duke.

"Work" is a loose term. He drew a paycheck from Duke so he could serve as mayor and Duke could say it employed the mayor. Like Jay Bilas "working" for Moore & Van Allen. If somebody had been willing to give Cannon a similar job, we might still have an elected mayor.

"Work" is a loose term. He drew a paycheck from Duke so he could serve as mayor and Duke could say it employed the mayor. Like Jay Bilas "working" for Moore & Van Allen. If somebody had been willing to give Cannon a similar job, we might still have an elected mayor.

Didn't he work for Duke for many years before becoming mayor? he was on city counsel for part of that time though.

after he lost his governor run the first time he had a nice fake job with Moore and Van Allen, too, didn't he? Or another big law firm? As I recall, he was never a registered lobbyist nor was he a lawyer, so it was always mysterious to me exactly what he was doing there. Probably not searching title or running pleadings to the courthouse.

He worked for Duke for 28 years. He was only a mayor for the last few

Didn't he work for Duke for many years before becoming mayor? he was on city counsel for part of that time though.

after he lost his governor run the first time he had a nice fake job with Moore and Van Allen, too, didn't he? Or another big law firm? As I recall, he was never a registered lobbyist nor was he a lawyer, so it was always mysterious to me exactly what he was doing there. Probably not searching title or running pleadings to the courthouse.

MVA has also given Dan Clodfelter the fake paycheck for the past few years as well while he served in the state legislature, and now he is Cannon's replacement as mayor. He is a legit lawyer and not a complete douche, but still I don't think he has done any actual work for them in years.

Well whatever amount of "work" he did for them, it's still a pretty bad look to draw a paycheck from a company for 28 years and then have this shit happen when you're governor.

Back