• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC Budget

Too bad they are letting teachers go and not the bureaucrats.

ETA: What were the other options that were proposed?

They enacted a temporary sales tax increase of 0.75% a couple years ago that was set to expire. Governor Perdue wanted to extend it, the Republicans wanted it repealed to make good on a campaign promise. According to the Dems, extending the sales tax would have saved jobs, the Republicans say everyone is just overreacting.

(super picky but...)
I believe it was initially a temporary sales tax of 1 cent, and Perdue proposed keeping a .75 temp sales tax.

They enacted a temporary sales tax increase of 0.75% a couple years ago that was set to expire. Governor Perdue wanted to extend it, the Republicans wanted it repealed to make good on a campaign promise. According to the Dems, extending the sales tax would have saved jobs, the Republicans say everyone is just overreacting.

Follows Republican logic that public sector jobs aren't real jobs (except in the national unemployment numbers that are totally Obama's fault).

yep. republicans want to eliminate every single government job and feed those people to wild hogs.

i also remember reading that republicans want to anally rape regular folks with broom handles. regular folks are the ones who get it the worst. well, them and working people.

if it wasn't for democrats, every single person in the world would die except for white men who make over a million dollars a year. all hail democrats, pure as the snow.

(super picky but...)
I believe it was initially a temporary sales tax of 1 cent, and Perdue proposed keeping a .75 temp sales tax.

Sounds reasonable to me as an outsider. I think a combination of front office cuts and a sales tax increase would have been a fair compromise, but "compromise" is a dirty word in politics these days.

Back