• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC GOP US Senate Debate

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
Opponents squared off at Davidson College tonight to determine who's craziest. No clear winner was declared.

Despite their efforts to differentiate themselves, the candidates shared positions on many questions. They all affirmed their opposition to the Affordable Care Act, Common Core educational standards and medical marijuana legalization, and said they support stronger border security with Mexico and the cutting federal regulations.

Although they disagreed on which federal departments should be cut – Thom Tillis and Mark Harris wanted to take out the Department of Education; Heather Grant said the Environmental Protection Agency; and Greg Brannon named departments from the Internal Revenue Service to the Federal Reserve – all agreed that entire departments should be eliminated.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...an-senate-candidates-pledge.html#.U1cazfldWgY

Come on, runoff. Spread some of that Koch money out a little.

You think "The Debate is Over" syndrome only applies to progressives?

Another example of The Debate is Over Syndrome as exhibited by so many progressives on this board. Instead of Voltaire, we get STFU. All these candidates are crazy because they challenge the perceived wisdom of the progressive mindset.

http://www.joelkotkin.com/content/00900-spread-debate-over-syndrome

Yeah, because having an IRS is some sort of radical idea. These GOP debates are hilarious because the candidates, some of whom may actually be somewhat well-reasoned and moderate, get into a pissing match over who can espouse the farthest right wing agenda.

So, if I may handicap the field:

Tillis: The presumed winner. Lied about his college transcript. Fairly moderate.
Brannon: Batshit crazy dentist. Criminally rips off investors.
Harris: Probably the smartest of the lot, but no one knows or cares about him.
Grant: Who? But apparently wants to abolish the EPA, so yeah, STFU.

From the article above:

All oppose the Affordable Care Act.

Not surprising. Not likely that any have realistic plans to address the rising costs of health care, but at least this one is relatively mainstream

All oppose medical marijuana.

Again not a big deal, a lot of people in NC probably do.

All want to eliminate federal agencies.

Lol. What? This is pretty batshit crazy. Not a single GOP candidate wants to keep at least some federal agencies? I mean....so what's the viable alternative? Just absolute deregulation of everything across the board no matter what? Who collects taxes? Who oversees pollution issues? Who helps enforce policy? This is crazy talk

All believe Russia is the biggest foreign policy threat.

I don't know if this is necessarily true or not, but at least it's not that far out there

And all believe climate change is not a fact.

Lol. Okay

If I don't change my registration to Massachusetts I don't even care who wins this primary. I probably request an absentee ballot if the deadline hasn't already passed and write in somebody else. Pretty terrible field.

From the article above:
Lol. What? This is pretty batshit crazy. Not a single GOP candidate wants to keep at least some federal agencies? I mean....so what's the viable alternative? Just absolute deregulation of everything across the board no matter what? Who collects taxes? Who oversees pollution issues? Who helps enforce policy? This is crazy talk

believe one or some of them proposed replacing the Federal EPA with a state agency. sounds like a swell plan. We could just dump all of our coal ash into South Carolina or Virginia. voila, problem solved.

that idea that anything washington does = bad, is just stupid.

believe one or some of them proposed replacing the Federal EPA with a state agency. sounds like a swell plan. We could just dump all of our coal ash into South Carolina or Virginia. voila, problem solved.

that idea that anything washington does = bad, is just stupid.

Why SC or Virginia? Pumping it right into the river is the easiest way to get rid of it.

You have som A-1 nuts running for the GOP nomination in NC! But, you're not alone in that regard.

Back