• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC House gives tentative approval to NC Budget

Right, but I don't get how an HBC is "absolutely necessary."

22% of North Carolinians are black and black Americans take a lot of pride in their blackness and the institutions they have created. NC A&T has been a beacon of light for many black North Carolinians throughout the years. That's why I see it as "absolutely necessary."

I'm curious which schools are profitable and which aren't.

I'm curious which schools are profitable and which aren't.

Certainly would be interesting to see, but I don't think profitability is the way to decide which schools should and shouldnt remain open.

Certainly would be interesting to see, but I don't think profitability is the way to decide which schools should and shouldnt remain open.

I think we are very close to having to start treating these schools like business enterprises. The money fountain is going to be turned off for quite some time.

I think we are very close to having to start treating these schools like business enterprises. The money fountain is going to be turned off for quite some time.

this is unfortunatley true for all levels of education. I get the historic importance of HBC's, but if they are a drain on the system financially, then the state has a responsibility to take action. Same goes for any other school in the state.

22% of North Carolinians are black and black Americans take a lot of pride in their blackness and the institutions they have created. NC A&T has been a beacon of light for many black North Carolinians throughout the years. That's why I see it as "absolutely necessary."

http://www.northcarolina.edu/about/facts.htm

58% of all Black college students in NC attend the state's HBCUs. 19% attend A&T. There are more Black students at Elizabeth City State than there are at State or Carolina.

What people are forgetting in general is how important it is for every North Carolinian to have a local university. I have a lot of students who wouldn't be able to get a bachelor's degree if there wasn't a university within a reasonable commute of where they live.

I'm not sure of the obsession with universities making a profit. If universities did move towards making profit, the money would still come from taxpayers and students and that would be less money in a lot of pockets that can be spend in the private sector.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the obsession is that every person is entitled to a college education. We don't have enough jobs for college grads as it is anyway.

I'm not sure what the obsession is that every person is entitled to a college education. We don't have enough jobs for college grads as it is anyway.

Well, the world needs ditchdiggers, too.

I don't necessarily think everyone is entitled to a college education, but I do think everyone is entitled to equal access to higher education. It would make it more difficult for people in places like Elizabeth City to go to college if they didn't have access to a school within a reasonable proximity. We should be encouraging higher education, not restricting access geographically/socially.

Someone shouldn't be forced to leave their job, kids, parents, whatever to get a college education.

I think it's tough for people used to the traditional student model to understand the needs of older nontraditional students.

Someone shouldn't be forced to leave their job, kids, parents, whatever to get a college education.

I think it's tough for people used to the traditional student model to understand the needs of older nontraditional students.

The rest of the state should not be forced to provide a little college right next door for them to get that education.

Don't see this as a reason to publicly fund them but I do agree that there needs to be equal access for everyone and a reasonable commute should be part of the equation.

Back