• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC restaurants that are overrated or overpriced

Also extremely underrated Q is Honky Tonk Pig Smokehouse in Winston. If you have a big party you can bargain down with them to $3-4 a head depending on number of meats. And their sides are insanely good.

Word.

Last time I went, I had some honey-chipotle glazed ribs that were the bomb.com. They've got some pretty good mains, but every side I've had from there was pretty awful. Some of the worst mac and cheese EVAR.

I keep meaning to hit up Cha Da Thai or Thai Sawatdee. Anything in particular I should order from there?

ETA: I also don't get the hate for Sweet Potatoes. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's definitely better than solid grub.

I think now it's half price pitchers of Yeungling & one or two others.

Um, no. I'd much rather go to Rose's. More convenient. More beer. And food that doesn't make me feel my heart slow down as I eat it because it's not dripping w/grease.

Um, yes. Just getting the sandwiches from TJ's wouldn't change the convenience or beer situation. You can get non-greasy ones, no need to get a cham everytime.

Rose's sandwiches are borderline not even good.

I'll start the list:

Lexington BBQ.

Nothing wrong with the food.....but it is ridiculously overpriced for what it is. Stamey's in Greensboro and Parker's in Wilson are two similar restaurants that come to mind which are far better when everything is considered, IMO.....and I'm sure there are many, many others as well.

Jesus. You can get a giant plate of pig at that place for like nine bucks. Quit fucking whining, get off the couch and go get a better job if you think that is expensive.

A better topic, if you ask me.

I buy at:
1) O'Neal's Sea Harvest in Wanchese. Best in the State, but not the cheapest.
2) Motts in Wrightsville.

Anybody else got any recs?

In Wilmington go to either Eagle Island, Greenville Loop Seafood or Sea View Crab Company. I think Eagle Island might be the best

Sanitary is tourist crap.

Not sure what is good fish camp food in Carteret after The Net House closed.

How about Frost seafood house in Salter Path? I never went there but heard it was good for a "fish camp" style food

If you're looking for good Mexican food in Raleigh that is dirt cheap El Dorado is the HEAT. Granted I go to the one in Garner 98% of the time so I can't really speak for the other locations but eating lunch for $4 with bottomless chips is unbeatable.

If you're looking for good Mexican food in Raleigh that is dirt cheap El Dorado is the HEAT. Granted I go to the one in Garner 98% of the time so I can't really speak for the other locations but eating lunch for $4 with bottomless chips is unbeatable.

The one in Cary near my house is the same way. I actually prefer the food at Los Tres but the El Dorado is close and has all kinds of lunch specials for 5 bucks.

I have to agree with Bob on Lexington BBQ. That's the overpriced touristy Lex BBQ joint. BBQ Center on Main is so much better. Cook's is great, too, but you practically need a travel guide to find that place.

The one in Cary near my house is the same way. I actually prefer the food at Los Tres but the El Dorado is close and has all kinds of lunch specials for 5 bucks.

Damn haven't thought about Los Tres in forever. Went there ALL the time with one of my ex-girlfriends. Good stuff for sure.

Word.

Last time I went, I had some honey-chipotle glazed ribs that were the bomb.com. They've got some pretty good mains, but every side I've had from there was pretty awful. Some of the worst mac and cheese EVAR.

I keep meaning to hit up Cha Da Thai or Thai Sawatdee. Anything in particular I should order from there?

ETA: I also don't get the hate for Sweet Potatoes. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's definitely better than solid grub.

Interesting you felt that way about the sides. Most people love them. Slaw, italian potatoes, green beans, jalapeno baked beans, are all incredible. Also, we had their mac n cheese at several tailgates and it was the biggest hit there. Not sure what you're talking about..

Interesting you felt that way about the sides. Most people love them. Slaw, italian potatoes, green beans, jalapeno baked beans, are all incredible. Also, we had their mac n cheese at several tailgates and it was the biggest hit there. Not sure what you're talking about..

Different strokes for different folks or maybe I had a bad batch. I ordered the mac n cheese when they were somewhat newly-opened. The green beans were pretty bad too. I guess their baked beans were pretty good; i had forgotten about them. Never had the potatoes.

I really don't mean to hate on them too badly because I think their 'cue is top notch for the area.

IIRC Allen and Sons ain't cheap. Probably overpriced too if someone is saying Lexington is, which I'm not.

Just went to Allen and Sons this weekend. One overstuffed lb of Q, three sides and two large drinks set me back $15. Not bad considering that amount of Q fed me twice.

Different strokes for different folks or maybe I had a bad batch. I ordered the mac n cheese when they were somewhat newly-opened. The green beans were pretty bad too. I guess their baked beans were pretty good; i had forgotten about them. Never had the potatoes.

I really don't mean to hate on them too badly because I think their 'cue is top notch for the area.

I hear ya. I think it's interesting they consider it "Georgia BBQ". The guy who makes it/owns the place is the man and originally from Georgia. Apparently their sauce is semi-famous. He cooks for tons of country singers when they come near the area too which is cool.

Back