• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State 30 for 30

Wow some of you guys have a lot of hate or envy or something. Coach Valvano was a great coach and a great human being. The V Foundation for Cancer research is not the product of ESPN or a crooked pond scum of a man. Any ACC school would have taken Chris Washburn at the time. I think even Wake Forest made a few mistakes in who they brought in a few years ago. That's why you are stuck with Buzz know. Stop the hate.

No. It's our board. K? Cool.

I thought it was a tremendous 30 for 30. Don't understand the hate talk for Valvano. The NCAA investigator specifically said V was not a cheater. There was an insutitutional control issue. That was pretty much it, other than the lies about Valvano reported as facts. But, go ahead and hate if you must.

i think i've posted this before but can't remember the answer. should the clock have stopped after lorenzo charles's dunk? seems like there was a good 2 seconds left on the clock that ran off without even an inbounds pass. was the rule that the clock didn't stop except if there was a timeout called?

I thought it was a tremendous 30 for 30. Don't understand the hate talk for Valvano. The NCAA investigator specifically said V was not a cheater. There was an insutitutional control issue. That was pretty much it, other than the lies about Valvano reported as facts. But, go ahead and hate if you must.

Dear God, you don't really believe this bullshit, do you?

Yes, there was an institutional control problem. Who was the basketball coach and the athletic director? Valvano, that's who. He was the institutional problem.

Not State fans opinion. 8 months later......

"The NCAA investigation lasted eight months. In the end the investigators found no million-dollar diversions, no automobiles, no grade-fixing, no hidden drug tests. They found two punishable violations—players had sold complimentary tickets and complimentary sneakers—and the NCAA placed N.C. State on two years' probation, declaring it ineligible for the 1990 NCAA tournament. Dave Didion, the lead investigator, wrote Valvano a letter. "I wanted to let him know that he had cooperated with me more than any coach I had ever worked with," said Didion, "and that not everyone thought he was evil. I wanted to let him know that if I had a son who was a prospect, I would be proud to have him play for Jim Valvano. He wasn't the smart-*** egomaniac I'd anticipated. Yes, the graduation rate of his players was not good...but no one cared to look at the overall graduation rate at N.C. State. Yes, he probably shouldn't have recruited some of the kids he did. But if he hadn't, he'd have ended up playing against them and getting his brains beaten out by them, because everybody else wanted those same kids."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/mag azine/MAG1137534/7/index.htm

Valvano is far far far from a choir boy but that is part of what made him so interesting ... he was human and had flaws. Loved the doc even with the unnecessary deification of V.

I watched it tonight too. Great memories. One of my fondest memories with my dad was staying up late watching that Pepperdine 2OT game. I had no idea it was tape delayed. I was 5 and 6 during UNC and State's championship runs. My sister was two years younger and we both remember them vividly. Gannon's steal of Ralph Sampson has always been burned into my memory even though this was the first time I've seen a clip of it in 30 years. It's a shame that my sons won't get to enjoy the same love for college hoops that we had back then. They were amazing times. Then to get to go to two ACC schools and experience it up close. Wow.

BTTT. Anyone know a way to watch this online? I saw it live but wanted to show someone who missed it. Thanks

Well said. Don't forget the Wake Forest back to back ACC tournament championships, which we will never experience again in our lifetimes. I honestly thought, with the Odom/Skip upward trend that I would actually see the Deacs play in a Final 4 one day. Sigh.

I watched it tonight too. Great memories. One of my fondest memories with my dad was staying up late watching that Pepperdine 2OT game. I had no idea it was tape delayed. I was 5 and 6 during UNC and State's championship runs. My sister was two years younger and we both remember them vividly. Gannon's steal of Ralph Sampson has always been burned into my memory even though this was the first time I've seen a clip of it in 30 years. It's a shame that my sons won't get to enjoy the same love for college hoops that we had back then. They were amazing times. Then to get to go to two ACC schools and experience it up close. Wow.

Back