• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State -8

We're still 4-1, we'd have all taken that coming into the season and didn't even look possible after the Tulane game. Important we bounce back next week though.

That is the big question-- how do the guys handle this loss. Still 4 and 1

Expected to lose, but it went a little better than expected. Still think we had some opportunities we didn't take advantage of.
same

the scoreline doesn't really reflect that they took a big punch, clawed back (pun not intended), and had a 4th and a couple in NCSU territory with a chance to cut it to 7 or 3 late.

impressed with the fight today. let's go beat Syracuse!

That is the big question-- how do the guys handle this loss. Still 4 and 1
I don't think our mentality or mindset is responsible for the secondary being so vulnerable. They look slow and passive.
There aren't enough cupcakes left on the schedule for us to win games with convenient turnovers and quarterback scrambles.

We've given up 1400 yards to the murderers row of Duke, Indiana, and NC State. I won't be confident in this team until we can beat a real team straight up. We can't depend on opponents beating themselves.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Kearns looks legit. Ball comes out so much different than Wolford. Looked like the receivers should have caught a couple. Idk how he hasn't beaten Wolford out.

What did Wolford do wrong today? He had receivers drop multiple balls. He scrambled well. He overthrew a couple of passes where it looked like the receiver looked the wrong way and slowed them down.

I expected to lose this game and thought we played well after the first quarter. Our secondary is easily our weakest link. NC State made some great plays.

Could only watch in dribs and drabs, but to me, we looked slow and like we didn't care, esp in the first quarter. Don't underestimate how juiced State was for this game. Regardless of the party line that we aren't a rival, the Wake game is big for them every year. It absolutely kills them when we are successful in FB.

Starting slow kinda seems to be a prob under Clawson. The opposite of Grobe.

Need to fix that

Could only watch in dribs and drabs, but to me, we looked slow and like we didn't care, esp in the first quarter. Don't underestimate how juiced State was for this game. Regardless of the party line that we aren't a rival, the Wake game is big for them every year. It absolutely kills them when we are successful in FB.

I think State having a bye week made a difference

Kearns looks legit. Ball comes out so much different than Wolford. Looked like the receivers should have caught a couple. Idk how he hasn't beaten Wolford out.

It's amazing how many ticks and body movements Wolford makes before he releases the ball. Kearns just throws the ball.

Wolford is gritty as hell but he has happy feet. Made some plays but also missed some crucial passes. Didn't make any critical errors. Findlay played fantastic....only missed 2 or 3 throws and everything else was immaculate...not just good but "the best/only place it could be".

I'm just saying, kearns looks like a power 5 qb. His deep ball is impressive.

2dary outplayed by opponents BY MILES.
Wolford is scrappy but Kearns threw quickly with pinpoint accuracy so not sure how Kearns is not used more.
OL did not provide much push which really hurt.
Receceivers need to grow some man arms, forearms, hands and chests. They got man handled and when open failed to focus on CATCHING.

Thoughts from the game...

- Game was definitely there for the taking
- Proud of the guys for fighting back after that horrific start being down 23-3
- The state booty holes would've gotten mighty tight if we would have scored a TD on our last meaningful drive with about 8 minutes left, but Bachman was stopped one yard short on that 4th down completion at the state 32
- Our O-line was manhandled today....well, in the words of the late Dennis Green, "they were who we thought they were..."
- Our secondary...has some major issues, but weren't helped today much from the lack of a pass rush which was kind of surprising
- Wolford... the guy was a warrior today. He got beat to a pulp but kept hanging in there. Say what you want about the guy, but my god did he ever take a beating today no thanks from his line.
- no need to lament this game. The next game is the biggest of our season. 5-1 would be hella sexy

Beat Cuse!
Go Deacs!

Good post. I agree with all your points. We went 2-1 in away toss up games and that's beyond what I predicted. Our team really needs to get fired up for Syracuse. For our schedule it's pretty much a must win.

This adversity will define the season for this team. They really need to respond well against Syracuse to meet reasonable expectations.

Much like responding to the Clemson loss with a win at State tested the 2006 team.

Back