• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread - One Shining Moment - UConn Huskies

No. They aren't

That is recency bias that you are guilty of
I mean they literally have the largest margin of victory in NCAAT history. That alone puts them in the discussion. And it’s not like they had a cakewalk of opponents.

You don’t have to have an nba superstar (or 2-3) to be in the discussion for the best college TEAM ever.

I mean they literally have the largest margin of victory in NCAAT history. That alone puts them in the discussion. And it’s not like they had a cakewalk of opponents.

You don’t have to have an nba superstar (or 2-3) to be in the discussion for the best college TEAM ever.
I respect your opinion but I think it is absolutely foolhardy to think this team could compete with the 1996 Kentucky team.

I don't even think this UCONN team would match up well against 2009 UNC (who also won every NCAAT game by 10+ iirc)

Recency bias.

What one player on this UConn team do you think could take over a game against a team with other superstars? I don't see one.

People are saying they're in the conversation and your response is "but these one or two teams could beat them". Both of those things can be true at the same time.

I think I could name 10-15 others. I haven't even gone back to the 80s or before yet. UCLA won 7 titles in a row while losing just FIVE games over that 7 year period. Think they might have a shot against this 4 loss UCONN team? Just maybe!

And I've shied away from mentioning recent teams like 2000 Mich St, 2008 Kansas, 2016 Villanova, or 2018 Nova.

Again, this UCONN team is really, really good. But there is literally nothing about them that I saw that makes me think they are transcendental in terms of talent. Great example of sum being larger than the sum of their parts. However, I'm not sure that stands up against some truly dominant teams with insane players in recent (much less past) history.

We just saw them beat the biggest superstar in the game, and didn't need anyone to take over.
Yes. Purdue had one superstar that put up, what? 37 and 10?

Then the cluster of role players contributed a combined 23 points and 15 rebounds.

I don't think anybody alive would try to argue that the 2024 Purdue basketball team is one of the best, well-rounded teams of all-time in college basketball.

Other than that, great point.

Do you think 1990 UNLV would have only 1 player score more than 12 points in a 40 minute basketball game against this UCONN team?

Same question for 1996 Kentucky.

or 2009 UNC, 2000 Mich St, 2016 Nova, or 2001 Duke. COME ON!

Do you think 1990 UNLV would have only 1 player score more than 12 points in a 40 minute basketball game against this UCONN team?

so in the last 40 years, uconn is one of the best 5-6 teams?

I think I could name 10-15 others. I haven't even gone back to the 80s or before yet. UCLA won 7 titles in a row while losing just FIVE games over that 7 year period. Think they might have a shot against this 4 loss UCONN team? Just maybe!

And I've shied away from mentioning recent teams like 2000 Mich St, 2008 Kansas, 2016 Villanova, or 2018 Nova.

Again, this UCONN team is really, really good. But there is literally nothing about them that I saw that makes me think they are transcendental in terms of talent. Great example of sum being larger than the sum of their parts. However, I'm not sure that stands up against some truly dominant teams with insane players in recent (much less past) history.
not having a superstar is what makes what they did all more impressive to me

they had like 7 all conference caliber players

i told my wife that if wake ever by the grace of the sweet lord baby jesus wins a bball natty, the celebration that i will have to "one shining moment" will be unprecedented

TMI

96 Kentucky would murder this UCONN team

2019 UNC would toy with them

Do y'all not remember how good those teams were?

2002 Maryland too. or 2003 with Melo?

And I'd certainly take 1990 UNLV over this UCONN team in a hypothetical matchup.
I respect your opinion but I think it is absolutely foolhardy to think this team could compete with the 1996 Kentucky team.

I don't even think this UCONN team would match up well against 2009 UNC (who also won every NCAAT game by 10+ iirc)

Recency bias.

What one player on this UConn team do you think could take over a game against a team with other superstars? I don't see one.

if only there was some sort of quantitative way to rank and compare the efficiency of college basketball teams in different seasons....?!

Uconn this year is good

All those teams are clearly better, IMO. Better from 3. Better inside. Better in transition. Just better.

if only there was some sort of quantitative way to rank and compare the efficiency of college basketball teams in different seasons....?!
Tell me more. Because as far as I know, those metrics compare each team year to year against one another and don't attempt to compare teams over different years, or decades, or even longer.

And I highly doubt we have advanced analytics for that 1970s UCLA teams. But keep going. You're on a roll!

torvik goes back to 2008, the only team rated higher than 2024 uconn was 2015 kentucky (went 38-1 and lost to wisconsin in final four)

is efficiency in that model based on other teams within the same time period?

or is it compared to historical norms?

and if the latter, norms from 16 years is very decent but I'd like to understand more before buying in. how do they compare one year against the other? are there any efforts to normalize results? do we assume pre 2020 is the exact same as post 2020? because that seems foolish.

Back