• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread - One Shining Moment - UConn Huskies

The better the ACC is perceived to be, the easier it is for Wake to get NCAA bids. I really don’t understand how this is even a debate. Sure NC State winning might not move the needle much, but if the ACC shit the bed the way the SEC did it could be devastating. We are running on zero margin for error.

A great point would be Danny’s team that got into Dayton. This years teams was better by a significant margin and still wasn’t invited.
SEC will still get 7-8 bids next year. Performance in March doesn’t get a conference bids for next year. The ACC needs to stop losing buy games in November.

State is fun to watch. Doesn't matter if they're a rival. If you think otherwise, you are the cuck.

giphy.gif

That was a classic tournament game, just without a classic ending. Ducks ran out of gas in second OT.

Creighton has made 16 NCAA Tournaments since 1999 and made the Sweet Sixteen 3 out of the last 4 years. They had only made 9 tournaments in their history before 1999.

Butler made 13 NCAA Tournaments between 2000-18 including 5 Sweet Sixteens and back-to-back Final Fours in 2010-11.

Dayton has 9 NCAA Tournaments since 2000.

St. Mary's (CA) has 10 NCAA Tournaments since 2005. Six were at-large bids. They've made 5 out of the last 7 tournaments.

I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Creighton has made 16 NCAA Tournaments since 1999 and made the Sweet Sixteen 3 out of the last 4 years. They had only made 9 tournaments in their history before 1999.

Butler made 13 NCAA Tournaments between 2000-18 including 5 Sweet Sixteens and back-to-back Final Fours in 2010-11.

St. Mary's (CA) has 10 NCAA Tournaments since 2005. Six were at-large bids. They've made 5 out of the last 7 tournaments.

Ok yea, y’all are older than me

I'm sure there is some version of Creighton's DR pining incessantly on their board about the Bluejays arena being too large for them (spoiler...there's not), but it hasn't seemed to hold them back for the last 25 years.

I hate to break it to you, but Wake doesn’t come up in many conversations about Tobacco Road. Especially when they’re all in the tournament and Wake is in the NIT.

Also UNC and State won’t even be in the ACC in 5 years anyway
Again, disagree. I meet people for work all the time who, when they find out I went to Wake, respond with some version of “oh wow, great school, good basketball team”. It’s incredible how that reputation has persisted despite our awful run, and it’s certainly bolstered by our rivals being good or making runs.

Again, disagree. I meet people for work all the time who, when they find out I went to Wake, respond with some version of “oh wow, great school, good basketball team”. It’s incredible how that reputation has persisted despite our awful run, and it’s certainly bolstered by our rivals being good or making runs.
Same. I often get a Tim Duncan reference.

Your example isn’t a “Tobacco Road Basketball” conversation? Sounds like some nice people asking where you went to school and paying you a compliment. In my experience, sitting down talking about Tobacco Road basketball, folks will sit and talk about the Duke and Carolina Rivalry and how great it is then say something about how State used to be good but aren’t anymore and are overshadowed by the triangle schools, and no mention of Wake. Maybe some older folks will bring up Tim Duncan, I haven’t heard anyone refer to Wake as a good basketball program in 20 years

Your example isn’t a “Tobacco Road Basketball” conversation? Sounds like some nice people asking where you went to school and paying you a compliment. In my experience, sitting down talking about Tobacco Road basketball, folks will sit and talk about the Duke and Carolina Rivalry and how great it is then say something about how State used to be good but aren’t anymore and are overshadowed by the triangle schools, and no mention of Wake. Maybe some older folks will bring up Tim Duncan
By older folks if you mean people on their 30-40s? Yes. Plenty of people bring up Tobacco Road to me and all the very out of state Duke, State and Carolina fans I know from work always bring up how Wake is doing. For someone who has apparently lived in NC for most or all of your life, it’s interesting you think you’re an expert on how we’re perceived nationally.

Back