• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread - One Shining Moment - UConn Huskies

They should have been mowed down by Houston today, but for the loss of Shead.

I think Edey is a bad matchup for Burns. Burns doesn’t exactly elevate a ton on his shot off post moves - I think he’ll have a tough time getting his shot off. Plus, Edey is a little harder to body and back down than Filipowski/Mitchell
It all depends on who the refs favor. I find it hard to believe that Burns will get the calls he's been getting when he's playing against the likely Naismith Trophy winner this year. On paper State should be no match for Purdue, but State has been playing with the 1983 horseshoe up their ass since the ACC tournament, so who knows how it will go.

Five different ACC schools in the last five Final Fours. Six different and nine total in the last nine Final Fours since Louisville joined.

“Lucky”.

They played hard and played well. That’s not luck. If it was luck, Wake would eventually get it.
you don’t think hoping an 84% FT shooter from another team misses a front end of a 1 and 1 and then banking in a 3 at the buzzer to force OT isn't lucky? State has played great, but if that completely improbable shit didn't happen, its a nice story about how an underdog team made the semis. wake's luck is always that the shot was on target but rattled out.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

you don’t think hoping an 84% FT shooter from another team misses a front end of a 1 and 1 and then banking in a 3 at the buzzer to force OT isn't lucky? State has played great, but if that completely improbable shit didn't happen, its a nice story about how an underdog team made the semis. wake's luck is always that the shot was on target but rattled out.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk
Those two sequences against UVa were lucky yes.

Wake’s luck was UVA missing their first 10 free throws in the game up there. How often does a team miss its first 10 free throws of the game?

If WF wins that game, gift-wrapped with 10 consecutive missed free throws, WF is the 3 seed in the ACC tournament. Very lucky. What did WF do to cash in that luck?

Pffft

NC State is cashing in.

Second time in a decade a 10th place ACC finisher has made the Final 4. Cuse also did it in '16.

It is interesting the ACC seems to be the only big boy league that has teams make deep runs from the depths of its conference

Hmmmm....

“Lucky”.

They played hard and played well. That’s not luck. If it was luck, Wake would eventually get it.
NCSU played hard to get back in the UVA tourney game, but it took a missed FT to set up a desperation 3 to force OT. That’s the only time I felt luck factored in the result. Of course none of this would have happened had they lost that game. Would they have made the NIT? Probably not.

I am really looking forward to DJ Burna working against Edey in the post. I think it’s a fascinating match up. With Edey’s size he should own Burns defensively. Can’t what to see what creative angles on the glass Burns uses to counter.

I am really looking forward to DJ Burna working against Edey in the post. I think it’s a fascinating match up. With Edey’s size he should own Burns defensively. Can’t what to see what creative angles on the glass Burns uses to counter.

Might they cancel each other out and the game be decided by the perimeter??

I can't remember which thread, but I remember a few posters a few weeks ago dismissing the idea of working hard for a big post body presence like Edey. "The ogre from Purdue" and "it's not the 90's" come to mind.

I think it would be a mistake to completely dismiss the idea of moving the gears of recruitment to the big bodies that have made some of these teams like Purdue so successful. Recruiting the next Tim Duncan, Loren Woods, or even a Songaila or Eric Williams seems like a good idea to me.

I don’t think you can say Wake has dismissed recruiting big bodies like Purdue considering Painter stole a big body Wake commit several years back who wasn’t much smaller than Edey.

I mean Efton Reid is 7' and 250 pounds. Matt Marsh was 7'1" and 250 pounds. Davion Bradford was 7' and 270 pounds last year. Wake has had plenty of big bodies recently.

If you're point is to find bigs that are high volume scorers from the post, well you can get in line for the handful of those guys that exist.

Back