• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Transfer Rule

tagsfan

Reaction score
There was a lot of talk today about reports that the NCAA is considering doing away with the rule requiring a transfer to sit out a year (unless he's a post-grad). The pundits seem to be unanimously opposed to changing the rule. I heard no discussion of how the effects of that change could be mitigated. I wonder if having a transfer count as two scholarships for that first year for his new school would help. Probably not a huge deal in football but more so in basketball. On a related topic, in the case of one-and-dones, why not dock the school a scholarship for the following year (or two). What say you?

I'm for it if the coach you signed with leave the program.

If the coach leaves it makes sense. If not, then the blue bloods will just recruit off everyone's roster each year in addition to getting the top 15 guys.

If the coach leaves it makes sense. If not, then the blue bloods will just recruit off everyone's roster each year in addition to getting the top 15 guys.

Yeah that would suck. They'd get the 5 stars out of high school and then try to cherry pick the overlooked 2 & 3 stars they turn out to be studs in college.

On the radio show Clawson just said it would be disaster.

Look at how fickle AAU players are and how often they switch teams. That's exactly what would happen to college football and basketball. Many people, including myself, would stop watching.

Yeah that would suck. They'd get the 5 stars out of high school and then try to cherry pick the overlooked 2 & 3 stars they turn out to be studs in college.

Agree completely. That's why there would have to be some sort of "poaching penalty."

That would create utter chaos. A really dumb idea. Which probably means that it will be instituted.

Look at how fickle AAU players are and how often they switch teams. That's exactly what would happen to college football and basketball. Many people, including myself, would stop watching.

They would have to limit it to one transfer per player for the proposal to have any chance of passing. Maybe more schools would opt for the 4 year scholly model as a way of enticing kids to stay. It's entirely forseeable that some (un-named) programs would continue to recruit other transfers over kids who transferred in and then dump the less valuable ones.

Maybe just cap the number of transfers a respective program can take over a period of 4 years? Something like that could work, maybe?

ETA: I think the idea as a whole is terrible. Just trying to think of a way to stop everyone from transferring on a year by year basis to the same 6 or 8 schools.

Last edited:
Maybe just cap the number of transfers a respective program can take over a period of 4 years? Something like that could work, maybe?

It would help, but it would still be a problem. If a guy like Dortch has as good a year as many of us think he can, we'd have 30 programs trying to recruit him away from us if he was eligible to play for them next year. Imagine how many programs would've been courting Ejiofor during the offseason if he was eligible to step in a play right away.

Totally for this. Anything that prevents assaults on personal freedoms is cool. Fuck the NCAA. Kids should go where they want to anytime, anywhere. It's un American to restrain free movement by a free people. All in on this and anything else that is more fair to athletes. This keeps lying piece of shit coaches from basically keeping an athlete in jail.

Last edited:
I'm for it if the coach you signed with leave the program.

Exactly right. If the head coach can go at will, or gets fired, then the athletes need to be able to transfer IF they are academically eligible to transfer. Other than that, no way as it opens up too many cans of worms.

Coach K would have lost half his roster over the years with this rule. Therefore it's excellent.

Totally for this. Anything that prevents assaults on personal freedoms is cool. Fuck the NCAA. Kids should go where they want to anytime, anywhere. It's un American to restrain free movement by a free people. All in on this and anything else that is more fair to athletes. This keeps lying piece of shit coaches from basically keeping an athlete in jail.

Kind of agree. BTW, this rule appears to already be in place in other D-1 sports. WF men's tennis and WF women's golf just landed transfers that are apparently immediately eligible in those sports. WF had a baseball player that played for another D-1 team last year (can't remember his name, but he was signed by an MLB team). If that's the rule in other sports, why shouldn't the rule apply in football or basketball? Agree that it would result in more chaos, but college football and basketball already constitute a perversion of the college academic admission process anyway. If the only thing keeping a kid from transferring is that he has to sit out a year, something is wrong.

Kind of agree. BTW, this rule appears to already be in place in other D-1 sports. WF men's tennis and WF women's golf just landed transfers that are apparently immediately eligible in those sports. WF had a baseball player that played for another D-1 team last year (can't remember his name, but he was signed by an MLB team). If that's the rule in other sports, why shouldn't the rule apply in football or basketball? Agree that it would result in more chaos, but college football and basketball already constitute a perversion of the college academic admission process anyway. If the only thing keeping a kid from transferring is that he has to sit out a year, something is wrong.

I get that it's not fair that coaches get to leave whenever they want, but letting players transfer at will would create lots of problems. I think maybe you allow it in certain circumstances, ie: head coach that recruited you leaves, program gets some kind of sanction by the NCAA if the player had nothing to do with it, or even a one time immediate automatic transfer. I don't think you can just allow unlimited immediate transfers though.

People don't even consider that a kid may actually detest his academic environment. Kids transfer because of this by the thousands every year. If we still believe in STUDENT athletes, we would favor this. Kids don't leave schools because they are happy. Athletes are punished for trying to fix their situation. There are other reasons too. Closer to home. Sick parent, etc etc. Athletes have the same emotional and academic desires that regular students have. People are just afraid they may lose a pre all American. It's selfish alumni thinking.

How hard would it be to coach some of these guys if they new they could transfer if the coach was too hard on them or they did not start as a freshman right away.

It would be a disaster for the sport. I doubt it would be as beneficial as we might think for the kids. Nothing like being recruited full time even after he is enrolled in school.

People don't even consider that a kid may actually detest his academic environment. Kids transfer because of this by the thousands every year. If we still believe in STUDENT athletes, we would favor this. Kids don't leave schools because they are happy. Athletes are punished for trying to fix their situation. There are other reasons too. Closer to home. Sick parent, etc etc. Athletes have the same emotional and academic desires that regular students have. People are just afraid they may lose a pre all American. It's selfish alumni thinking.

True. The rule punishes football and basketball players on scholarship to benefit coaches and fans. That is messed up.

Back