• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCSU Gives Gottfried a Nice Raise

CHillDeac

Reaction score
I guess that they're happy with his results. He's now the 3rd highest paid coach in the ACC.

Gottfried's annual salary remains at $750,000. His supplemental compensation was increased from $450,000 to $1.2 million, which moves him from ninth to third among the 12 ACC men's basketball head coaches in annual guaranteed compensation

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/11575795/

Didn't these guys laugh at Carolina when they gave Butch a huge raise after only 1 year?

Not that I'm doubting the almighty Debbie Yow, but I don't see what motivation there would possibly be for this. He had plenty of time left on his previous deal, and it's way too late to in the off season to worry about losing him to someone else.

Unless UConn came calling...

He had 3 winning conference records in 11 seasons at Alabama and got "fired" for banging a coed. What could possibly go wrong?

He had 3 winning conference records in 11 seasons at Alabama and got "fired" for banging a coed. What could possibly go wrong?

Nobody knows why he got fired. Lots of conflicting reports and he was a lead recruiting at one of the dirtier programs ever that got caught.

We recruited well even when we had a total stick in the mud who no one liked and was constantly on the hot seat (Herb), and when we had one of the worst coaches ever in the ACC (Sid). it really shouldn't be surprising that we are getting recruits with a guy who naturally has a lot of charisma and has had a lot of success before. The real question is whether he'll keep it up or flame out eventually like at Bama, as well as keep it zipped up. But there is literally no reason for Pack fans to not be excited. His programs have never gotten into any trouble. I know there's rumors about infidelity that could make other fans not like him. And a Wake related rumor that would make y'all not like him, but that one doesn't even turn me off, you frankly have to be ruthless trying to compete with UNC and Duke while they are in a 20 minute radius. Though I totally understand hating him for it. Not cheating, but ruthless. Moral of the story, his programs haven't gotten into trouble as a head coach (and he's been one since '95), he brought us immediate success on and off the court, Pack fans are understandably excited, some people sound a bit jealous, to be honest. Cough, Strick, cough

We recruited well even when we had a total stick in the mud who no one liked and was constantly on the hot seat (Herb), and when we had one of the worst coaches ever in the ACC (Sid). it really shouldn't be surprising that we are getting recruits with a guy who naturally has a lot of charisma and has had a lot of success before. The real question is whether he'll keep it up or flame out eventually like at Bama, as well as keep it zipped up. But there is literally no reason for Pack fans to not be excited. His programs have never gotten into any trouble. I know there's rumors about infidelity that could make other fans not like him. And a Wake related rumor that would make y'all not like him, but that one doesn't even turn me off, you frankly have to be ruthless trying to compete with UNC and Duke while they are in a 20 minute radius. Though I totally understand hating him for it. Not cheating, but ruthless. Moral of the story, his programs haven't gotten into trouble as a head coach (and he's been one since '95), he brought us immediate success on and off the court, Pack fans are understandably excited, some people sound a bit jealous, to be honest. Cough, Strick, cough

I'm not jealous, at all. I'm sure Wake did it, too, with AT&T. Just as well as I can, you can check out old Bama boards. There was plenty of smoke related to issues of recruiting and a lot of people made the Harrick inference before he landed at State. Enjoy Gottfried. Like I've said before, he's winning and your program is at a pretty legit high at the moment. Hopefully things don't turn out the way that they do at almost all of Gottfried's previous stops, however. That's all I'm pointing out.

Why do you keep talking to me like you can scare me with your inferences? I know more than you and am better connected as well.

"Hopefully things don't turn out the way that they do at almost all of Gottfried's previous stops, however"

He left Murray State in the top 25. He left Bama in a poor way, but took them to places they simply don't go in basketball, like the Elite 8 and a number one ranking. Hopefully he can sustain it better here, but if he takes us to new highs and then craps out after a few years it won't be that bad as long as he doesn't leave us in trouble with the NCAA, which didn't happen at either of his head coaching jobs (and as long as we didn't Hewitt or Gillen his contract). If he leaves us at a high like Murray State for one of the top jobs in the country, we'll be in a great position for whatever the next high flying coach looking for the perfect job to step up into. OH NO. I mean seriously, those 2 scenarios are the best you can hope for unless you are Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc and can get the elite of the elite who will only ever have success

You're a joke. Of course we could get in trouble or have guys embarrass themselves. That's a concern for everyone, including Wake, do I need to go over that laundry list again? Nothing in Gott's cv suggests that will happen. And now you will say "I think you're on the wrong board", because that's what you always say when you are questioned and fall short.

Last edited:
Why do you keep talking to me like you can scare me with your inferences? I know more than you and am better connected as well.

"Hopefully things don't turn out the way that they do at almost all of Gottfried's previous stops, however"

He left Murray State in the top 25. He left Bama in a poor way, but took them to places they simply don't go in basketball, like the Elite 8 and a number one ranking. Hopefully he can sustain it better here, but if he takes us to new highs and then craps out after a few years it won't be that bad as long as he doesn't leave us in trouble with the NCAA, which didn't happen at either of his head coaching jobs (and as long as we didn't Hewitt or Gillen his contract). If he leaves us at a high like Murray State for one of the top jobs in the country, we'll be in a great position for whatever the next high flying coach looking for the perfect job to step up into. OH NO. I mean seriously, those 2 scenarios are the best you can hope for unless you are Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc and can get the elite of the elite who will only ever have success

You're a joke. Of course we could get in trouble or have guys embarrass themselves. That's a concern for everyone, including Wake, do I need to go over that laundry list again? And now you will say "I think you're on the wrong board", because that's what you always say when you are questioned and fall short.

My point is that I could care less about NC State, whether y'all like your coach, or whether getting recruits and winning brings you joy.

Furthermore, I've never once criticized him as a coach. He's won consistently and he's done so at some difficult destinations. Anybody who knows basketball agrees that Gottfried is a good coach. There are plenty here that let their fandom affect their basic judgment. I don't think I'm one. I think that Gottfried is nowhere close to as good of a coach as K, but I think he could coach circles around [Redacted] in his sleep.

His problem has always been on the other side of the coin, and we know that it's not personality. You don't acquire red flags in the coaching game if you're merely a slime-ball, either. There are plenty of slimeballs. Gottfried was near-untouchable post-Alabama and most people down there believe that it was bigger than merely a co-ed and alienating his star PG.

Murray State was fine, but it's Murray State. Good coaches will win at schools like Murray State. Look at his high-major stops. You conveniently forgot to mention how the Harrick administration left UCLA. Gottfried was a significant part of that staff. There are also many rumors about his career in Alabama. You can choose to discount them, but they're there, across time and fanbases.

Since you're getting personal, I'd argue the joke is on the guy who comes to prop up their team on the rival's message board and is surprised to find that some of said rivals who grew up with a hatred of everything baby blue, royal blue, and red don't share their optimism or enthusiasm.

Why is rintintin seeking validation on a Wake Forest message board, anyway? UNC-R sucks balls!

Don't argue with tintin. He knows people and has connections. LOL

I know. Nothing like a Sweet 16 in his first year, Top 5 recruiting class coming in and 2 more in the fold for the following year.

How is your program lookng these days, btw?

I love how State fans are butt hurt over us questioning the wisdom of re-working their head coach's deal after one year. The guy has had some interesting off the court issues in the past.

How is your program lookng these days, btw?

Pretty shitty.

The point isn't that Gottfried is a disaster waiting to happen; it's that there's at least a chance that he's fool's gold.

And yes, I would trade Gottfried for [Redacted]. There's at least a chance that Gottfried's demons (whatever they were in Tuscaloosa) haven't followed him to Raleigh. Whereas I see [Redacted]'s continued failure as essentially a foregone conclusion.

Back