• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCSU Loses 4* Recruit Joseph Uchebo

In 2009, a women's basketball player committed to Western Carolina sued the NCAA after Western refused to release her from her letter of intent after the Western coach left to take the job at NCSU. The theory of the case was so simple, it was kind of amazing no one had raised it before: she signed a contract as a minor and it was not approved by a Superior Court judge (as is required under NC law). Western ended up backing down and releasing her 2 weeks after the lawsuit was filed, which is actually a little unfortunate because it would have been really interesting to see what the result of that case would have been.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/09/18/58399/letters-of-intent-might-not-stand.html

In 2009, a women's basketball player committed to Western Carolina sued the NCAA after Western refused to release her from her letter of intent after the Western coach left to take the job at NCSU. The theory of the case was so simple, it was kind of amazing no one had raised it before: she signed a contract as a minor and it was not approved by a Superior Court judge (as is required under NC law). Western ended up backing down and releasing her 2 weeks after the lawsuit was filed, which is actually a little unfortunate because it would have been really interesting to see what the result of that case would have been.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/09/18/58399/letters-of-intent-might-not-stand.html

I only vaguely remember it, probably be it didn't drag on. Thanks for the reminder. That is an interesting situation.

There's rumors that he might not have had the grades. He's been to a million different high schools, reclassified, foreign, etc. His transcripts are a mess

There's rumors that he might not have had the grades. He's been to a million different high schools, reclassified, foreign, etc. His transcripts are a mess

I guess this was no issue until he decommitted?

Smacks of sour grapes, but we'll see I guess.

In the meantime, anyone know who is in the running for him now?

I guess this was no issue until he decommitted?

Smacks of sour grapes, but we'll see I guess.

In the meantime, anyone know who is in the running for him now?

It actually was an issue earlier, when he tried to get ahead a year so he could get into State for this past season. I'd imagine that's where the rumors surfaced (if they're just totally made up). Regardless, wish the guy luck I hope he lands in a good situation.

It actually was an issue earlier, when he tried to get ahead a year so he could get into State for this past season. I'd imagine that's where the rumors surfaced (if they're just totally made up). Regardless, wish the guy luck I hope he lands in a good situation.

That's why I don't know that I buy the line now. He reclassifies forward and then isn't going to qualify? Seems illogical.

Any word on where he's considering?

The sit out rule should be waived under specific conditions, both at a conference and NCAA level. The most obvious example would be a coach leaving, but also if there was some major event at the school, ie: the VT shooting.

The problem with that is that what they classify as "major" or "not major" will be subjective and then favoritism could be seen to play a part in the NCAAs decisions.

That's why I don't know that I buy the line now. He reclassifies forward and then isn't going to qualify? Seems illogical.

Any word on where he's considering?

It's not illogical to "reclassify" (i.e., stay back a year) in the hopes of getting your grades up and then subsequently fail to do so during your "reclassified" senior year. That's why the kid reclassifies in the first place; either his grades are shitty or he's not close enough to a qualifying SAT score such that he needs an entire extra year to get one.

It's totally plausible that this kid reclassified because of academic issues and then couldn't straighten them out during the extra year. Reclassified or not, he still needs qualifying scores; maybe he just never got them.

It's not illogical to "reclassify" (i.e., stay back a year) in the hopes of getting your grades up and then subsequently fail to do so during your "reclassified" senior year. That's why the kid reclassifies in the first place; either his grades are shitty or he's not close enough to a qualifying SAT score such that he needs an entire extra year to get one.

It's totally plausible that this kid reclassified because of academic issues and then couldn't straighten them out during the extra year. Reclassified or not, he still needs qualifying scores; maybe he just never got them.

What Kanhoji was saying is that it appeared the kid actually jumped forward a grade and not backwards as typically happens when they reclassify. It would be odd for someone to essentially try and skip a year if their grade situation was that poor.

lol well in that case I totally agree; that is bizarre. I just assumed he went back a year to get his grades sorted out, as many prospects do.

Who knows what's up with this kid. I think we'll know a lot more once we see which schools are on his "new" list.

The sit out rule should be waived under specific conditions, both at a conference and NCAA level. The most obvious example would be a coach leaving, but also if there was some major event at the school, ie: the VT shooting.

Gus Gilchrist actually tried to use that as his case when he backed out of his VT LOI and signed with Maryland, but his appeal was denied.

I didn't see that one coming.

Glad to know my sarcasm meter still works. I hope he goes to Charlotte, my boys could use some help. Although I think the new coach, Major, has his shit together. He can apparently recruit, he was Matta's top assistant.

Nice of Mark Gottfried to call the kid up and revoke his scholarship without telling him "oh hey PS, forget about any of the other 11 schools in this conference, too."

Back