• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need a high quality laptop for under $2000

you really won't. Though Mac excel is kind of annoying to work with compared to the regular version. BUT OTHER THAN THAT.

What's the deal with Mac Excel? I use Excel quite a bit.

Excel without easy to use right click would suck.

just some of the shortcuts and menus are slightly different in just enough of a way to slow you down if you're working across platforms on the same data set. sometimes I help my wife process large data sets and she uses windows at school but we have macs at home.

definitely not something worth not buying a mac over, though.

I had to use a mouse last week working on a laptop from 2003. I don't want to go back.

i think it's easier to use 1 handed for most things, except long distance drag/scrolling, which is a problem with every touchpad

Srsly though, go with an Asus X301.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX301..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YX2VBCJJFFP5P9K195P

about as good as it gets for pc laptop.

solid construction - gorilla glass top, check.
lightweight - 2.6 lbs, check
processor - newer haswell processor, 6-8 hrs battery life
ram - 8GB is plenty for 99% of users
storage - two SSD's in raid 0, super fast
display - at 13.3, but nice resolution at 2560x1440, so don't think that will be an issue. multi-touch here which will make windows 8 not as bad.

Eww tap clicking is the bane of my existence, even on a mac touchpad.

you don't have to tap. Two finger click or tap on touchpad is right click. Also, any regular mouse can right click on Mac. Scrolling on touchpad is way easier than PC as well

you don't have to tap. Two finger click or tap on touchpad is right click. Also, any regular mouse can right click on Mac. Scrolling on touchpad is way easier than PC as well

Ahh so you're saying it detects the # of fingers when you click down, that wouldn't quite so bad. Neither would the solution District posted about above.

I'm curious why you think the latter? Because of natural scrolling? Anything else just comes down to the specific touchpad/drivers. Lots of PCs suck at this, some do it right though.

Went to Best Buy this afternoon and looked at a few laptops. The main one that was recommended was a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro as the best mix of small size and power. Then the Asus QS501 and Samsung ATIO Book 8 for power but a lot of size. . Still considering the MacBook Pros although the 15 inch, 16 GB is outside the price range. I'll make a final decision tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Nice tag work by the way, except for the "pay your child support" tag. I don't think I've posted anything here that would imply I'm not a good dad. This is the only time that tag has been used so this is about me. It's sad that for some of you "ph is black" must be synonymous with "ph is an absent father."

Back