• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need a new mattress

Wake95

Reaction score
Anybody LOVE their mattress? My wife spent a lot of money on a 'nice' King sized mattress probably 10 yes ago and haven't had a good nights sleep since. Looking to finally bite the bullet and get a new one, but don't want to make the same mistake again. I know some people love the sleep number beds, but I have slept on them before and didn't really care for them. The last thing I want to do is go to a mattress store....worse than used car salesmen.

Bad thing about the pillowtops that are so popular and comfortable at the beginning is you can't flip them, so you wind up sleeping in a trench in 5 years.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/beautyrest-black-edenton-luxury-firm-king-mattress-set?ID=1325285&pla_country=US&CAWELAID=120156340000440324&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120156340000914196&cadevice=c

I just got one of these at my local furniture store. I love a very firm mattress and this fits the bill. No more back pain and no sinking. We made the mistake of a memory foam and over two years it just got less and less firm and I felt like I was in a trench. We put it in a guest room and splurged for a new one. It was the right decision-at least 3 months in.

The Original Mattress Factory. We've loved ours, and they rate well in Consumer Reports.

Low pressure sales. First, you'll pick out your mattress type according to number of springs and gauge (basically, the more metal the better) and desired firmness (soft, medium, firm). Then you'll pick out your "topping" which is the padding above the mattress (pillowtop, etc). The salesman will direct you to their mattresses that you picked out by coils, gauge, and firmness with various toppings. Try those out, pick one and you're good to go. TOMF is one of the last companies that makes two sided mattresses. Most make "flipless" mattresses which is really marketing for half a mattress (cheaper to make) at the same price. Flipless is planned obsolence - they want you to buy a mattress more often.

I am also looking for a new mattress. Found this website helpful while searching online for reviews. http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Agree above with Brangus, we have a pillowtop now that can't be flipped and I basically sleep in a trench. Happened to sleep on a nice memory foam this weekend down in Wilmington. I didn't get the brand name because they had one of those zip up mattress covers on it and I didn't feel like fighting with it to find out but I slept great all weekend!

I came across the website below when I was looking for a mattress last spring and it helped me tremendously. Once you educate yourself somewhat, you'll find out you know way more about what you are looking for than those chessy mattress salesmen. I only dealt with manufacturers that would sell direct and got a great mattress and deal from Coltons in Asheville, NC. You can use the same website to find direct to the public manufacturers.

http://www.themattressunderground.c...lines-finding-the-best-quality-and-value.html

Sealy Beautyrest with the individually wrapped coils- highly rated as well on Consumers Reports.

I have a Serta icomfort. We have the cheapest (forget the name) model in a king. It is fantastic. The perfect give while still firm.

Have had a good experience with my Original Mattress Factory mattress. Flip it about once a year and it holds up great. I prefer a firmer mattress and it hasn't seemed to have lost anything from its original condition over the past five years.

My fiancee ordered one from Costco. I think it's a Serta. Great price and it's pretty comfortable, too.

and going by his screen name we now know how he sleeps with the wife. ;-)
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/beautyrest-black-edenton-luxury-firm-king-mattress-set?ID=1325285&pla_country=US&CAWELAID=120156340000440324&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120156340000914196&cadevice=c

I just got one of these at my local furniture store. I love a very firm mattress and this fits the bill. No more back pain and no sinking. We made the mistake of a memory foam and over two years it just got less and less firm and I felt like I was in a trench. We put it in a guest room and splurged for a new one. It was the right decision-at least 3 months in.

I've got a Memory Foam. It takes a little getting used to, but the theory is that you'll sleep more soundly on your back, so once you break the habit of sleeping on your side, you'll sleep through the night better and the mattress will help keep you on your back. The one the wife picked out was too soft so I had to exchange it for a firmer one.

Back