• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

need advice on movers

WakeandBake

Reaction score
Moving from NC to IL next week. Would like to drive my car and have a moving company take my stuff rather than tow the car behind a UHaul or fly back and forth etc. I have a small to medium sized truckload of furniture. Any advice? thanks

next week? yikes.
Sounds like your best bet given the small amount you have is to get a section of a much larger truck through one of the standard companies. You have less flexibility with when the stuff will arrive, because you have to wait for the other stuff in front of it to be unloaded first and whatever logistics are involved there.
From threads we've had like this before and personal experience, you get what you pay for.

That's tough. Sometimes it is almost cheaper to buy new stuff.

You can look into a couple of options (PODS) or the ones where you pack the truck and they pick it up. I think outside of new stuff towing your car will be the most cost effective.

Hopefully buckets or Phan will weigh in.

We found PODS to be incredibly expensive when we looked into them for our move; it would make more sense if you were needing to store stuff for a time, but if you just need it moved I recall that PODS didn't end up being as awesome as we thought they could be.

Moving from NC to IL next week. Would like to drive my car and have a moving company take my stuff rather than tow the car behind a UHaul or fly back and forth etc. I have a small to medium sized truckload of furniture. Any advice? thanks

I made this exact move August last year, but drove a U-Haul so I'm afraid I'm of no help - good luck!

PODS was hella expensive when I looked for Virginia to Florida. I did a u haul them and am doing a u haul next month.

I can't support anyone moving away from NC so I'm afraid I'm of no use.

We found PODS to be incredibly expensive when we looked into them for our move; it would make more sense if you were needing to store stuff for a time, but if you just need it moved I recall that PODS didn't end up being as awesome as we thought they could be.

I believe (and I haven't done it myself so I could be wrong) that the expensive aspect of PODS involves the distance moved. I think it's pretty cheap if you're only moving a short distance. Price increases exponentially when you go a far way.

Of course, that would still mean that it would be expensive for WaB. So never mind.

At least he's a drummer, if he was a bassist he'd have gotten Chicago and wondered where his stuff was.

The NC GOP claims another victim.

On a serious note, check Angie's List for deals and consider selling stuff here and buying new stuff. Do the math. You also probably have more stuff than you think.

Last edited:
Make sure your life and liability insurance is up to date.

And congrats on moving up the cultural scale in moving to IL.

Back