• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need recipe for great NC style vinegar based BBQ sauce

5 cups distiller vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
5 tbs brown sugar
3 tbs salt
1.5 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs hot sauce
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper

5 cups distiller vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
5 tbs brown sugar
3 tbs salt
1.5 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs hot sauce
2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp black pepper
Add a 12 oz Pepsi.

Leave out the ketchup if you can't handle the purist complaining about it.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon Texas Pete's
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Place all of the ingredients in a small, non-reactive sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sugar and salt is completely dissolved, remove from heat, and allow to cool to room temperature.
Pour the sauce into a jar or squeeze bottle and let rest in the refrigerator one day before using.

We got a fair amount of bbq 1 time and forgot the sauce. Liking Eastern NC better than Western, we came up with a combination that worked well - just vinegar, some brown sugar and that bruised chili/garlic sauce you get from Asian food stores. It's similar to Sriracha but has a little more texture and is more garlicky. Just mix around till you get the right proportions. I recommend it.

We got a fair amount of bbq 1 time and forgot the sauce. Liking Eastern NC better than Western, we came up with a combination that worked well - just vinegar, some brown sugar and that bruised chili/garlic sauce you get from Asian food stores. It's similar to Sriracha but has a little more texture and is more garlicky. Just mix around till you get the right proportions. I recommend it.

Sambal?

1110SB-2T.jpg

No, that's not the 1 I buy at our Cville Asian store. The 1 I buy just says "Bruised Chili Garlic" in English. Much of the writing is in Chinese. It does say Oriental Mascot. But yeah, it looks very similar, and the main ingredients are black bean, chili, soybean oil and garlic. And of course msg. Haven't recalled seeing Sambal Oelek around here. But isn't Huy Fong Foods the guy out in LA who makes Sriracha and irritates his neighborhood with chili fumes? I love that Jerry Brown saw fit to step in and help resolve that situation.

No, that's not the 1 I buy at our Cville Asian store. The 1 I buy just says "Bruised Chili Garlic" in English. Much of the writing is in Chinese. It does say Oriental Mascot. But yeah, it looks very similar, and the main ingredients are black bean, chili, soybean oil and garlic. And of course msg. Haven't recalled seeing Sambal Oelek around here. But isn't Huy Fong Foods the guy out in LA who makes Sriracha and irritates his neighborhood with chili fumes? I love that Jerry Brown saw fit to step in and help resolve that situation.

Yep that's the one. They make the sambal pictured above, but they also have one with garlic added, which I like better. This sambal doesn't have that. I think it's just called chile garlic sauce and has a green lid like sriracha. I buy a big jug for like $3 at the Vietnamese market and use it on everything.

Smokebelly BBQ in Atlanta sucks but their Carolina Vinegar sauce is fantastic.

Yep that's the one. They make the sambal pictured above, but they also have one with garlic added, which I like better. This sambal doesn't have that. I think it's just called chile garlic sauce and has a green lid like sriracha. I buy a big jug for like $3 at the Vietnamese market and use it on everything.

Yeah, that's great ish. This might be heretical to say, but I like it more than Sriracha.

Back