• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Need SOTOGAB alums Saturday!!

banddeac

Reaction score
SOTOGAB is pulling double duty on Saturday....hosting a USSBA marching band competition at BB&T Field, and sending a pep band to Chapel Hill for the game. Most of the band members will be staffing the contest, so if there are any local SOTOGAB alumni who would like to go to the game and play with the pep band, you can either 1) meet us at Scales at noon and ride the bus, or 2) meet us in Chapel Hill at roughly 2:00 in front of the Smith Center.

Either way, if you can play, we would love to have you! Wear any WF shirt (SOTOGAB if you still have it), black pants if you have them. Please e-mail us by noon Friday if you plan to play....send e-mail to band at wfu dot edu

Thanks, and GO DEACS!!!

Welcome, banddeac! This is a great opportunity for band alums to support the Deacs and get to the game.

I'll be at Groves Saturday evening to help with the competition.

There was no band at Duke because of Fall Break (but there will be a band for the Vandy game during Thanksgiving break).

I'm sure the band did not singularly make the decision to have their most important event during the weekend of the Carolina game.

I guess we're fortunate the football team decided not to go on fall break, too...

I guess we're fortunate everyone in band has a scholarship...oh wait.

They're more or less volunteers. And I only say more or less because they get 1 measly non-specific academic credit for participating, and some pocket cash (stipend) if they stick around for multiple years.

Last edited:
Totally agree. No band at Duke, and scheduling something else to conflict with a road game at Carolina? That makes no sense at all.

Without events like the contest there would be no band because there would be no money. I bet most people on here that are griping about this don't give money to the band. I challenge each of you who are complaining to write a check out to the band for any amount you can afford. Every little bit helps and increases the funding for the university band.

Without events like the contest there would be no band because there would be no money.

I haven't seen a single poster question the actual event on either of the threads about it. The timing is the ONLY thing I've seen questioned.

I haven't seen a single poster question the actual event on either of the threads about it. The timing is the ONLY thing I've seen questioned.

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that the USSBA sets the day of the event well in advance, and since there are a limited amount of competitions through the year (specifically power regionals such as the event this weekend), there were very few weekends that we could host the competition.

Since they are all during the fall, it was inevitable that the competition would fall during an away weekend (obviously the Wake Forest football team are the tenants for all of the other games).

Had we known that it would be on the same day as the North Carolina football game, I highly doubt we would have double booked the competition on the same day.

To say that the priorities of SOTOGAB are "out of whack" to me demonstrates a lack of thought put into the post by Brasky, especially considering the dedication that we have put forth not only this year, but in years past to athletics and the program as a whole.

Just a question for thought...when would be the ample time to schedule a high school band competition during the fall? Keep in mind that October is when most high profile band events occur (see power regionals, the events that bring the best bands and most attendance to these events), and we can only host at BB&T during away games. The only two road games during this month were @ Duke (Fall Break, which we have already discussed ad nauseum), and @ UNC (this weekend, which is the one that was chosen for us).

Last edited:
Band students are not here on full scholarship like the majority of the athletes.

Travel budget does not allow for travel to every road game....if you want that, write us a check to cover the cost of buses and meals. Since we are taking away most of thanksgiving break for the band members by having a home game that weekend, we gave them the fall break weekend off.

Band students are there not only for all home football games and some road games, but all mens and womens basketball home games too. November is a killer schedule for the band kids and the cheerleaders.

You can question the timing as often as you like and we can offer the explanation for the timing each time and it won't make a difference.

Is it not evident to you that every effort is being made to make both events positive?

Band students are not here on full scholarship like the majority of the athletes.

Travel budget does not allow for travel to every road game....if you want that, write us a check to cover the cost of buses and meals. Since we are taking away most of thanksgiving break for the band members by having a home game that weekend, we gave them the fall break weekend off.

Band students are there not only for all home football games and some road games, but all mens and womens basketball home games too. November is a killer schedule for the band kids and the cheerleaders.

Bolding this part so maybe people will get it on this thread since it was missed on the thread last week. It costs a lot of money to operate the band. I don't know the exact number, but paying for 3 buses with drivers, a trailer or two for equipment, food, and in some cases hotels adds up quick. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but it's not cheap.

If it were possible (both in terms of money and time), I think 90% of the band members would travel to every road game and every bowl game.

Bolding this part so maybe people will get it on this thread since it was missed on the thread last week. It costs a lot of money to operate the band. I don't know the exact number, but paying for 3 buses with drivers, a trailer or two for equipment, food, and in some cases hotels adds up quick. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but it's not cheap.

If it were possible (both in terms of money and time), I think 90% of the band members would travel to every road game and every bowl game.

This is really just an attempt to keep our band from hooking up with the athletes and then going on national TV to complain about it.

They do, but to send the entire band to every game would not be a wise investment. It's much cheaper to send a 15 member cheer squad than a 125 piece band.

Back