• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Neighbor building a fence in my yard

His instance on "not making this ugly" and insisting that there is no need to re-mark is a dead giveaway that he's planning to cross the line (literally and metaphorically), and he knows it. Tough situation man. But better to deal with nasty looks from a neighbor than a mess with property lines when you go to sell the house. Still think a certified letter and paying a surveyor to come out and spray paint the line is the way to go. You could also set up a webcam or something to spy on the line if you think he's still going to try something. Sucks though, hate it for you.

Your neighbor basically just told you to go fuck yourself. Get the certified letter and make specific reference to him admitting that he was coming into your yard and not to press the issue. Specifically reference that he would not provide his survey or the name of the installer. Get the survey and line sprayed asap. Finally, it does appear that he may be doing the fence himself now (as HP points out). Getting panels in your yard is just him being a cheap piece of shit. If you do not rectify this before the fence goes up, you will drive home every day, see the fence, and be pissed. Better to piss him off than yourself.

Agree with the bolded parts above... he's openly saying that he will encroach on your property by "only 3 inches," even though you're telling him not to (and you believe it's more), so I would definitely take all the steps to protect yourself. And maybe I don't understand the rock placement, but lol that he even brought that up. Grasping at straws...

Sorry, sounds like this guy sucks.

I thought I remembered the neighbor used the same fence company, so I called and they agreed to take a copy of the survey. Now we'll see. And my surveyor will come out later this week.

Just keep us updated and let us know you're safe. Never will forget that time TR1982 disappeared after confronting his neighbor about killing his cat.

Good fences make good neighbors.

But seriously, get your surveyor to come out and make clear to your neighbor that if the fence is built on your property, you will have it removed.

Your neighbor kinda sounds like an asshole.

Seriously. Reading this at first I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and thinking surely he was just not that smart or that other people were accidentally moving the stakes. Nope, sounds like a jerkface.

Just seems like the normal, non-assholish response would be, "oh shit, man, sorry about the confusion. Yes, let's compare surveys and get this straightened out." Trying to convince you to give in is very loose butthole.

I love the "let's not get ugly over 3 inches" bit. Yes, keep your fence on your own piece and let's not.

Yeah - Don't let your fear of confrontation allow him to pull this shit on you.

And definitely don't offer him any more gifts.

You should offer him one more gift, take a huge fucking shit on his front porch!

When you offered that gift, you might as well have chopped off your nuts and handed them to him at the same time.

"let's not get ugly over 3 inches"

that-s-what-she-said-o.gif

When you offered that gift, you might as well have chopped off your nuts and handed them to him at the same time.

What nuts?

He lost his nuts when his wife said, "Honey, why don't you go over there with a gift? I'm sure that will work." and he said, "Yes, dear."

yeah, seriously. I didn't understand that gesture at all, but I'm assuming the wifey recommended it.

Yeah, the gift card thing kind of threw me too. So what if he was planning to come over and bulldoze part of your house? Would you then offer him a bigger gift card?

Yeah, i don't really understand the gift thing (since it wasn't even your tree)... but what does sending him and his wife out for a night have to do with anything other than you being kind of a shmuck?

Shmuckness aside, your neighbor sounds like a piece of work. Zero reason for someone in the right to take issue with their neighbor getting the line re-surveyed. He shouldn't care at all if he truly believes he's on his own land.

What nuts?

He lost his nuts when his wife said, "Honey, why don't you go over there with a gift? I'm sure that will work." and he said, "Yes, dear."

It would already have been surveyed but for his wife's advice to wait and see.

"Look, you come over with a check for $5,000, and I will consider keeping this fence on my property"

Back