• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Braves Stadium

So the Braves are getting the county to pay for half of their stadium so that they can instead invest their money in the surrounding area, which will produce rent revenue? That could be a huge windfall for the team, well beyond ticket sales.

How many local businesses will be negatively affected by that new retail areas?

Is it safe to assume the Braves already know who they're partnering with for the development?

Is it safe to assume the Braves already know who they're partnering with for the development?

Probably a lot less than will be affected positively by having 2.5 million people circulating through the area every year. Not to mention all the new residential units being built in the development, which will add to the permanent population of the area.

Could be wrong, but I don't think there are a lot of local businesses in that space right now. Just some office space (which is easy and relatively cheap to relocate) and lots of trees.

Yes. It's one of my firm's clients. (Or at least they are one of the developers helping)

Well, I'd imagine they'll lose business to the new retail area, but the overall county will get a large increase in traffic. Of course, since they don't plan to add new public transportation, and the parking will be near the Braves stadium and their retail areas and restaurants (and right off the highway), a lot of that increase in traffic will never reach local businesses. (Unless they relocate to the new area, and start paying the Braves rent.)

I'd be interested to hear from local businesses, to get an idea of their expectations and why they are willing to pay more in taxes for this.

Well, that looks fucking awesome. I hope they just push it through.

I know everyone dreams of Atlanta's downtown making some huge comeback or whatever, but sometimes you have to embrace what you are. All of Atlanta's best stuff is scattered in neighborhoods around the city, and that's simply not going to change. And certainly not because of a ballpark. So put the park where the people are and make it a destination for a team that relies on a scattered fan base.

A 30 year tax plan to fund a stadium for a team ditching the old digs after 20 years?

Plan has been approved.

Cobb County to raise taxes in the future to fund teachers and text books cut earlier this year.

Possibly 28k+ more cars on Braves game day in one of the worst traffic areas in Atlanta http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...0-more-vehicles-on-sold-out-game.html?ana=twt

what-me-worry-715605.jpg

The Grady Curve is also a horrible traffic area, so its not like there's gonna be a diff when the stadium moves.

Except you have an option to take MARTA (even though it's a pain) to Turner Field. Not so much for Cobb "We Don't Want Those People Who Ride MARTA" County.

Back