• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coach brings hope to Wake Forest

but the whining about new energy at school and facilities takes away from the respect I had from him.

Exactly, you don't get to whine about a lack of energy/excitement around the program when you're the guy being paid $2.2+ million to generate it. The (lack of) energy around the program when Grobe left was directly related to the results on the field and the comments coming from the staff and players.

Jim Grobe Angry
Jim_Grobe_wfu-sid-2013_FB-bio11-grobe.jpg

Jim Grobe Excited

Jim Grobe Worried

Jim Grobe Cheering

------------------------------

Dave Clawson Angry
20120927_pjc_bc1_043.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Dave Clawson Excited
SPT-BGfootball7pnn.jpg

Dave Clawson Worried
940x.jpg

Dave Clawson Cheering
940x.jpg

Jim Grobe Angry

Jim Grobe Excited

Jim Grobe Worried

Jim Grobe Cheering

------------------------------

Dave Clawson Angry
20120927_pjc_bc1_043.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Dave Clawson Excited
SPT-BGfootball7pnn.jpg

Dave Clawson Worried
940x.jpg

Dave Clawson Cheering
940x.jpg

Love it. It's like those t-shirts you used to see that had "the many emotions of Chuck Norris" on them.

The-Emotions-of-Chuck-Norris-Tshirt-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
I'll miss Jim Grobe's steely poker face. Wake Forest Saturdays used to prepare me for the Lovie Smith steely poker faces during Bears Sundays.

“Coach Clawson is very hands on,” senior fullback Jordan Garside said. “Coach Grobe really let his staff take control of us. That is a difference. Coach Clawson really likes to get dirty with us and get involved.”

So Grobe let his staff take control of the team ... a staff that has since had tremendous difficulty getting other FBS jobs. And that's why we are where we've been the last 3 years and continue to be.

To me the downfall of Grobe was the simple fact that halfway through his tenure, his best assistants had left to take headcoaching jobs. The folks that they were replaced with were simple not of the same caliber. It was obvious, and Grobe's hands-off approach just made it worse.

Thoughts on Grobe and his resignation:
1. Grobe's teams won when he had the best athletes such as but not limited to Abate, Curry, Smith, Vaughn and Skinner, all of whom were not highly recruited but were great college players;
2. Grobe's teams lost when the same level of recruits later on were not as good as Abate, Curry, Smith and Skinner, which tells me that players win games by being better players than the other guys, irrespective of the offensive style;
3. Clawson said at a small fund raising gathering recently that Wake's facilities were the worst in the ACC and pointed out that Duke's rise in football coincided with Duke's upgrade in facilities and that he would not have taken the job unless Wake upgraded its facilities;
4. People who criticize Grobe's head coaching style - hands off of actual coaching and calmness on the sidelines during games - have never played in games with a hyper nervous coach on the sidelines; think Joe Torre and Tony LaRusso, both new hall of fame coaches, and Tom Landry, all of whom were very calm on the sideline/dugout. That style works, when you have players who can play;
5. Wake is now upgrading its facilities - I gave more than I am able;
6. Wake was lucky to have had Grobe as its coach and Wake is now lucky to have Clawson as its coach, both quality and intelligent coaches and character individuals.
7. Go Deacs.

I love Jim Grobe. He could shit on my yard and my opinion of him wouldn't change.

Facilities is the biggest excuse in all of college football for failure and grab your pooper-scooper because Jim Grobe did shit in your yard!.

If Jim Grobe wanted more facilities, he could have used the massive bully pulpit he acquired in 2006 to rally the troops behind him. Never heard a peep from him about facilities, recruiting, etc. I guess he was "a good soldier" for Ron Wellman, but that doesn't help the status of WFU football.

If Grobe wanted an indoor practice facility instead of Deacon Tower, maybe Wellman would have made sure he got it.

Facilities is the biggest excuse in all of college football for failure and grab your pooper-scooper because Jim Grobe did shit in your yard!.

Oh I agree he failed to sustain any hint of success, when really, the program was in a position to do just that. I'm not saying regularly winning ACCCGs, but comments like "winning was expectation and that became a problem" really demonstrated his LOWF mentality.

Having said all of that, the man won us an ACC Championship. In football. That's amazing and he provided me with a lifetime of memories. I can't hate on the man because things got away from him. Others can, but I won't.

I certainly value humility, and would probably prefer that Grobe not air his displeasure via the media. But I can't blame the man for how he feels. We all have pride. He was asking Ron for facility investment/upgrade and was denied. Then Ron brings in a new coach who has yet to prove anything (at Wake) but he is guaranteed the same facility investment/upgrade before a single day of work. That stuff stings.

I don't think it's some kind of injustice that a new hire is getting more perks than the old guy.

Facility improvements were in the work well before Grobe's resignation/firing. First, Grobe's #1 priority was remaking the locker room at BB&T Field. I saw renderings and was asked to pony up for that project. Then the plan changed to the Strength & Conditioning Center. A working group toured several other facilities and the take away was why improve a space that is going to be used 6 times a year?. . .Grobe preferred S & C improvements over an indoor facility. He told me - out of his own mouth - that we did not need an Indoor Facility. So. . Grobe was being heard, but as was suggested in this thread, he seemed to be out of touch with what things were needed to draw interest from potential recruits. Clawson is not so handicapped in that regard.

Last point. . .Grobe lost the big money. There was no out pouring of support for Clawson. It was more related to a lack of desire to give to the Program big money while Grobe was at the head. That's on Grobe. . .not Wellman or anyone else. I think Wellman could promise Clawson some shiny new toys because he knew he had the money sitting on the sidelines. Look at the timing of the whole thing. We are breaking ground on the Indoor Facility in less than a week.

I don't see anything wrong with what Grobe has said. Reading through the lines a bit it's all true. We needed a new energy. We got it and there are positive consequences as a result.

I will always love Jim Grobe and if he is ever in town I'd invite him over for dinner. Let's put his regime past us and focus on supporting Clawson and his Staff.

I continue to be amazed by what it takes to stay current when it comes to "facilities." We have spent a boatload of money on athletics facilities over the last decade and we're still apparently the worst in the league. What is the next big thing that we will absolutely have to build to keep up with the arms race?

Our locker room is pathetic and that's something you want the recruits to be impressed by when you bring them through on Game Day. High schoolers aren't rational enough to realize it's only used 6 times a year.

If Grobe had fired Lobo and hired a real OC, then the money would have flowed in. Only a fool would bankroll his obvious nepotism.

Back