• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I don't get the Turner bashing. Yes, he is a mid major choice if you can't get a current power 5 level coach, but he checks alot of boxes.

1. P5 assistant including at Wake.
2. NBA assistant.
3. Took over a weak program in a conference and has turned it into the top dog. The last 7 years the worst UC Irvine has finished is 2nd.

He is universally considered one of the top mid-major coaches in the country.

The major concern is the transition from WC to EC recruiting.

Turner doesn't seem like a bad coach, but I think the box checking can be misleading. There are tons of people who meet the first two boxes who are truly bad coaches. And there are infinite number of boxes -- I think one of the articles that was linked above had "ACC ties" "Wake ties" and "local ties" as three separate boxes, but I would argue they are all meaningless.

Our three best coaches in my time were Tacy, Dave and Skip. Only Dave had previous Wake ties. All three brought in some great players.

why hasn't Turner been hired by a bigger program yet?

My assumption is that he was all lined up to interview for much bigger jobs after the tournament last year, and then the whole "Queen" comment thing blew up in his face and all those interviews went away.

That was just last year though, so why he didn't have better offers before that? I don't know...

What other ACC school would be happy with our list excluding Beinlein and Matta ? Clawson would be a better example of how to proceed with the search.

VT just hired a coach from the SoCon coming off a Sweet 16 appearance. Let's not act like it would be some kind of outlier.

Turner doesn't seem like a bad coach, but I think the box checking can be misleading. There are tons of people who meet the first two boxes who are truly bad coaches. And there are infinite number of boxes -- I think one of the articles that was linked above had "ACC ties" "Wake ties" and "local ties" as three separate boxes, but I would argue they are all meaningless.

The "Wake ties" box is a subset of the "understands small academically focused, private institution" box. This is one objective measurable part of the "gets Wake Forest" criteria in my checklist.

Turner, in addition to Wake ties, also coached at Stanford university. This, IMHO, is as important as the specific Wake tie.

Also, Turner's wife being an MD gave him an up close and personal view of advanced degree education. And this would be different from that of many college coaches who get a masters in something like "sports management" while serving as a grad assistant.

Yet when Stanford went looking for a HC they brought in Jerrod Hasse of Kansas/ Unc and UAB. Go figure...

Les just dropped a list of people who have already interviewed or will be interviewed by end of day today.

I would suggest subscribing. A couple names on that list that no one is talking about.

giphy.gif

We’re going to be good again. Don’t fuck this up Currie.

Obviously we had to make calls to Belein and Matta to gauge interest but if they both (likely) said they were not interested, where do you go? In this scenario you have to look at
Forbes
Turner
McMahon
Becker
Miller
Kelsey
While I don't think having Wake ties is paramount or an absolute necessity, it certainly would not hurt to understand the metrics of Wake Forest.

I don't care about Wake ties, but we do have to find the right fit. Wake is unique and it isn't LOWF to say that. Plus we're coming off the era of unwiped ass. We are the smallest P6 school and there is a long-standing culture at Wake that makes recruiting athletes more difficult due to academic standards. (I don't agree with it but it is what it is and it isn't changing during this coaching search.) We are neighbors to two historical programs who get all the attention in our conference, not to mention our own state. When Duke wants to look at a recruit in Alaska they hop in a private jet and fly out there. We don't have nearly the recruiting budget/resources of those schools.

Our fanbase is small, and we play in an oversized coliseum that compounds the problem. It's funny so many think this is a non-issue in basketball but how many times to people say on football threads "Our pathetic crowds and empty stadium is why Clawson will eventually leave..."

It's just not LOWF to recognize these things. I still say call Beilein and Matta, but our chance at hiring those guys was probably 20 years ago. Wake has alot to offer, but will be a better fit for a younger coach who can grow together with our program rather than established guys who I doubt want to take on a rebuild at Wake. Honestly, the more I think about it, Forbes might be the perfect fit in terms of his accomplishments, plus being willing to invest his future in a place that really could be a national contender but will take some time to get all the pieces together at once.

And Forbes may not be interested. We have to ask and make legit big money offers but we should be rational enough to recognize those guys may not be interested. So find a young guy with promise and take a chance over hiring the experienced guy with mediocre experiences.

Last edited:
Never know who might be interested for various reasons. Skip put his name in the hat late after Wellman was ready to hire Beinlein. Les certainly has a couple of interesting names on his list.

Last edited:
You guys should subscribe to Les, he just answered the questions on Forbes and Matta.

https://twitter.com/les_johns/status/1254639398261579777?s=21

There’s a good chance I’m reading too much into this but with all sports being shut down, Les’ comments in this tweet leads me to think he knows something good. Yes I realize he’s doing his job and trying to get subscriptions but I’m hoping for a quick home run hire over here.

why hasn't Turner been hired by a bigger program yet?

Good question. I've heard Irvine is a pretty sweet place to live. He and his wife may be happy there. The main issue for me is that we're only considering him because he used to coach at Wake. He wouldn't show up on lists for other major conference jobs.

Les just dropped a list of people who have already interviewed or will be interviewed by end of day today.

I would suggest subscribing. A couple names on that list that no one is talking about.

Back