• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I’m all about Matta, but would be curious as to whether he has an idea as to who would be on his staff.

I think Forbes is a winner. Also, I think he could shake things up a bit. If we don't want to be the conference doormat, lowf anymore, then he's our guy. Dude doesn't take shit of anybody. Would be a refreshing change. Maybe we could not be such a snooty place. Would maybe interest some fans other than the handful of blue hairs we have at games now.

Win a bunch of games and there will be more fans.

I know i was bullish on Currie for not firing Manning after the season but now he’s done that and has a chance to hire Matta, that would be some legendary shit right there!!

Win a bunch of games and there will be more fans.

So tired of hearing this. Of course there are more fans when we win, but even when we winning we are still a small school with a small fanbase that does not appeal to our surrounding area as much as we could. My point was just that Forbes' personality might help our basketball program appeal to a wider audience. He seems to have a big personality that might be fun on Tobacco Road.

Forbes reminds me some of Buzz Williams and we could use that kind of energy. Matta would end the curse since he's the reason for so much Wake misery.

Coaching basketball requires a lot of physical effort and stamina on multiple fronts. Recruiting, gym teaching and in game coaching. If Thad Matta feels he is up to the physical demands, his physician concurs and Currie and his team vetting agree, then he's the best guy on the list.

His health is good

I am just catching up at the end of the day. Can you elaborate on Matta's health and how you know? To clarify, I am not challenging that, just interested (excited) to hear.
If we have/will interview Matta, I think there is actually a real chance it happens. I know people have mentioned the payments are about to end. He has money, so I don't think that is necessarily a major issues. Rather, he no longer has to show an effort to receive payments from OSU. I don't think there would be any reason to interview unless he is genuinely interested. If he knows he is done coaching, or doesn't have the health, why interview? There is no longer a reason to just go through the motions and we are the only option right now.

Forbes reminds me some of Buzz Williams and we could use that kind of energy. Matta would end the curse since he's the reason for so much Wake misery.

Forbes is a good friend of Buzz and coached with Buzz at A&M for a few years.

It can't be possible. I said it might be so.

Just like it couldn't be possible that Goodman was wrong and I had material from a Tier 1 person that the same thing. It's not even possible after people said they saw the material and it was true.

Oh yeah, it still wasn't true after JOHN CURRIE confirmed Goodman was wrong. The machinations to get around Currie's direct comment were board classics.

ANYTHING to get around admitting I was right and many on the board were wrong.

Sad, but predictable. :dumb:

Currie didn't admit shit.

Wake Forest's short list of coaches from Barstool Sports Article:

Pat Kelsey (Winthrop)

Wes Miller (UNC-Greensboro)

Steve Forbes (ETSU)

Randolph Childress (Wake assistant)

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2362149/wake-forest-making-sure-people-know-john-beilein-isnt-on-their-coaching-search-is-exactly-how-you-control-the-story-before-the-story-controls-you

Barstool isn't a source. It's an aggregator. Non-story.

Since being fired without cause by Ohio State, has Thad Matta ever interviewed for any other head coaching positions? Ole Miss? Georgia? Pittsburgh? Alabama?

Matta is obligated to interview for open head coaching positions or he may jeopardize past payments made by Ohio State since being fired.

Since being fired without cause by Ohio State, has Thad Matta ever interviewed for any other head coaching positions? Ole Miss? Georgia? Pittsburgh? Alabama?

Matta is obligated to interview for open head coaching positions or he may jeopardize past payments made by Ohio State since being fired.

another poster said that Matta essentially accepted the Georgia job last offseason but his wife shut it all down.

What’s he wrong about? Among other things, he said Beilein had never coached in the South.

So tired of hearing this. Of course there are more fans when we win, but even when we winning we are still a small school with a small fanbase that does not appeal to our surrounding area as much as we could. My point was just that Forbes' personality might help our basketball program appeal to a wider audience. He seems to have a big personality that might be fun on Tobacco Road.

Good take Turd!

What’s the writer wrong about?

Well, the writer did claim that Beilein has "never coached in the south." Despite the fact he clearly coached at the Univ of Richmond, which just happens to be located in a city that was once the capital of the Confederacy.

If he interviewed with them and wasn’t offered a job, why wasn’t he?

If he interviewed with them and was offered a job, why didn’t he take it? Would he rather just take the OSU check?

If they didn’t interview him, why didn’t they?

Currie didn't admit shit.

Barstool isn't a source. It's an aggregator. Non-story.

Currie said not to believe the media about the amount of the buyout. My bad, maybe he meant the "buyout" was $99M.

Currie said not to believe the media about the amount of the buyout. My bad, maybe he meant the "buyout" was $99M.

Maybe the buyout, at that precise moment, was $15,476,243.27. If the writer said it was $15 million, you would say it was wrong. Currie does not support you. Stevie wonder can see that.

Back