• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

jesus fuck

i knew netflixnchildres is a loud reactionary dipshit with no concept of nuance, but i expected the rest of y'all to read through the end of my post, where i said amaker would be a poor hire

man-spying-binoculars-featured.jpg
At this time, Moonz would usually jump in with some mention of "jorts" and "Doritos cheesedust".

RIP

There are rumors that much of Amaker's success at Harvard is because Harvard was much more generous with giving financial aid to his basketball recruits. The Ivy League is a non-scholarship league. A very flexible view about what constitutes "financial need" for prospective student athletes in basketball would be a strong advantage toward getting better talent than the rest of the Ivy League. Better talent usually means more wins. Amaker would not have that form of advantage at Wake.

I wonder if Currie is interviewing a swath of candidates, gauging mutual interest, and wants to make an offer soon. I imagine it would look bad if the process is drawn out, as if we'd gone after one candidate at a time, top down, and struck out a few times before settling. If 5+ people are interviewed at once, he can always claim that our hire just presented the best case and we've found our guy. Gotta feel like Currie is sensitive to optics here.

I think this is spot on. You go through the full process with 3-4 viable candidates. You offer #1 and quickly work down your order of preference if #1 declines. Not only is that a best practice in interviewing but it may be something he learned from his experience at UT.

IMO amaker would have been an excellent hire in 2010, an excellent hire in 2016, and probably an excellent hire now - from a coaching perspective. My biggest worry is that he would not generate the excitement or interest that has been lost from 2010 to now.

There are rumors that much of Amaker's success at Harvard is because Harvard was much more generous with giving financial aid to his basketball recruits. The Ivy League is a non-scholarship league. A very flexible view about what constitutes "financial need" for prospective student athletes in basketball would be a strong advantage toward getting better talent than the rest of the Ivy League. Better talent usually means more wins. Amaker would not have that form of advantage at Wake.

It is not a rumor, it is a fact. Harvard has superior advantages in recruiting in the Ivy League. Despite that, Amaker last went to the NCAAs 5 years ago.

Amaker is a solid and unspectacular candidate. He will not excite the fanbase. He's currently coaching at Harvard. Why does this scream "hatch insisted we interview him" to me?

If Amaker gets the job I'll still be checked out next year. Probably would follow recruiting to see how his honeymoon period goes but I'll have to see... well hear... something really exciting about season 1 to tune in for s2.

I know Michigan was coming off their Scandal and was on probation for a good portion of Amaker's tenure there.

Yeah, but he had something like 6-7 years there, and all he was good for was the NIT. Michigan is 1 of the 4 best hoops schools in the B-10. They've had a natty and the fab-5. Look at what Beilein did after he took over. And Amaker didn't exactly set the world on fire at Seton Hall either. The reasonable expectation you can have with Amaker is we'll get to some NITs. Yay.

IMO amaker would have been an excellent hire in 2010, an excellent hire in 2016, and probably an excellent hire now - from a coaching perspective. My biggest worry is that he would not generate the excitement or interest that has been lost from 2010 to now.

If he wins there will be excitement, any hire that wins should create excitement. If we win, I don't care if we hire a chimp to stand on the sideline and chuck peanuts to the crowd as a head coach. I don't think that chimp would win, but if he did, I'd be good with it.

Amaker could get us back to being "historically competitive" in that he will probably have us on the bubble each year, but he won't get us to the heights we saw with Skip and Dino.

And is it just me, or does this wreak of a Nathan Hatch hire? He's always wanted to turn Wake into another Duke.

Lots of legit criticism against Amaker's resume, but the guy has consistently recruited top talent for over two decades.

Amaker is the ultimate mediocre "better than DM and Bz" hire. Also has the stench of Hatch on the hire.

If your gonna settle for a high risk coach, you might as well get Miller or Kelsey over Amaker. You know what your getting in Amaker which is mediocrity, why not just swing for a young hungry up and comer? makes no sense to me.

If your gonna settle for a high risk coach, you might as well get Miller or Kelsey over Amaker. You know what your getting in Amaker which is mediocrity, why not just swing for a young hungry up and comer? makes no sense to me.

Oddly, I just said almost this same exact thing in a separate conversation. If there is no Matta or Forbes, might as well gamble again and hope you hit it big. Amaker might have a decent floor, but it's also likely not that far from his ceiling either.

Lots of legit criticism against Amaker's resume, but the guy has consistently recruited top talent for over two decades.

All we heard was Dino recruited talent and couldn't coach them to win. *I think the Dino criticism was largely excessive*

Not excited at all.

Maybe Currie thinks we need to get back to mediocrity before we can actually get back to being good, IDK????

If he wins there will be excitement, any hire that wins should create excitement. If we win, I don't care if we hire a chimp to stand on the sideline and chuck peanuts to the crowd as a head coach. I don't think that chimp would win, but if he did, I'd be good with it.

Umm Amaker hasn’t really won anywhere, what makes you think he’ll win here?

Back