• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

He’s definitely not at the top of my list, but getting UNCG to be a consistently top 100 team is pretty impressive.

Do you know other coaches who have done something like this? Like, is it common among low major coaches who are upwardly mobile?

Can she recruit?

That's the problem. Xs & Os and working with a team shouldn't be an issue.

I think the NBA might step in as they are looking to have a female HC soon and she's at the top of the list now. There could be pressure on her to say no to a college job.

Current ACC coaches:

K
Roy
Tony Bennett
Leonard Hamilton
Chris Mack
Jim Boeheim
Keatts
Mike Brey
Jim Larranaga
Brad Brownell
Mike Young
Josh Pastner
Jim Christian
Jeff Capel

Need a guy that would be top-5 in that list. Really look at those names. Not easy to be a top 5 or 6 coach in the ACC.

Please tell me what you know about Forbes history as an assistant coach recruiting high school players. I can tell you this, he has a better history recruiting HS players than Oats did pre-Alabama, and Oats signed a few 4* players in year one, and is a serious contender for multiple 5* players in 2021.

Nothing. But I know he hasn’t set the world on fire from a recruiting standpoint at ETSU. Thus, his point was reasonable, as I said, not fucking stupid, as you said. I like Forbes as a possible Wake coach FWIW. He can coach. And hopefully if we hire him, recruit.

Becky Hammon, come on down!

Let's go with someone who has won a Natty as a HC. Muffin McGraw, come on down! I'm sure Hatch knows her well from his ND days. The timing of her "retirement" was curious.

Was listening to Gary Parrish/Matt Norlander CBS CBB pod where like first 35 mins were dedicated to the firing, Parrish thinks it's gonna be one of Forbes, Odom, Miller or Kelsey. All with connections since Forbes was an assistant at Tennessee when Currie was the AD.

Definitely worth a listen if for no other reason than to hear them rail on how dumb Wellman was for the Manning contract for basically every possible reason. Cathartic

Was listening to Gary Parrish/Matt Norlander CBS CBB pod where like first 35 mins were dedicated to the firing, Parrish thinks it's gonna be one of Forbes, Odom, Miller or Kelsey. All with connections since Forbes was an assistant at Tennessee when Currie was the AD.

Definitely worth a listen if for no other reason than to hear them rail on how dumb Wellman was for the Manning contract for basically every possible reason. Cathartic

they also said it was dumb to fire manning. and "they didn't see this coming."

Nothing. But I know he hasn’t set the world on fire from a recruiting standpoint at ETSU. Thus, his point was reasonable, as I said, not fucking stupid, as you said. I like Forbes as a possible Wake coach FWIW. He can coach. And hopefully if we hire him, recruit.

It's always helpful when people speculate about things they have no knowledge of. Maybe I should give you some theories I have about the cure for Covid-19?

I'm really glad Wes and Pat are on our short list.

If I had to predict at this point, I would say they will continue to be connected for decades with Pat coaching WF and Wes coaching UNC.

I know, crazy predictions, I'm insane. Who would have ever suggested John Currie would be our AD and Kelsey or Miller would be coaching candidates for Wake. Insanity I realize.

they also said it was dumb to fire manning. and "they didn't see this coming."

They clearly stated that was all pandemic related and related to needing to still pay Danny $15M (if true), they made it abundantly clear they thought under normal circumstances Manning should be gone

Like I said, I KNOW he hasn’t set the world on fire recruiting at ETSU. I’ll pass on your CV19 cure theories.

Are we honestly comparing the admissions and academic rigor of Alabama to that of Wake? Land any recruits you want, they still need to be able to pass classes and pass the sniff test of the University leadership- that test is not the same at Alabama and Wake.
Manning has recruited multiple players from basketball factories and online schools that struggled to qualify...and they weren't even that good at basketball.

Back