• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

This is what you said:

So do you think Beilein would have come to Wake if Chaundee stayed? Otherwise why the hell are you wasting time posting about it being a major factor?

That's what he does. He doesn't know jack shit. Unless one of his neighbors is named Jack Shit, or something.

Matta is 15 years younger than Beilein, he could be at his next job 20 years. Great resume. Give me Matta!

Let Charlie Branch have a look at him!

Last edited:
Whose speculation? Yours or sourced?

Yeah I’m wondering this too. It seems Les has the most information on candidates at this time and he hasn’t said anything along those lines. It just doesn’t add up that Currie is interviewing Matta, Forbes, and Amaker, but is sold on Miller.

The more I think about this, the more obvious it is the Matta has to be our number 1 choice. He has the record, the experience, he wins championships, he can coach and recruit, he's not too old. The biggest question (and it's a big one) is his health.

Plus his hometown is Hoopeston

Yeah I’m wondering this too. It seems Les has the most information on candidates at this time and he hasn’t said anything along those lines. It just doesn’t add up that Currie is interviewing Matta, Forbes, and Amaker, but is sold on Miller.

This is a two way street. Interviewing doesn't mean that the candidate will accept the job if offered. Matta even has a clause in his contract to make a reasonable attempt to pursue other jobs (which means accept offers to interview) for tOSU to continue to pay him. Always good to interview, even if you are disinclined to accept the offer. Can often lead to an extension or some other benefit by your current school. Also, at this point, all these guys are sitting at home with nothing else to do. Why not accept an interview to just see how much WF would offer?

To the extent Miller is the favorite (and not saying that he is), guessing its because he is a candidate AND he would accept the offer if made.

Matta just concerns me. He had a lackluster couple of seasons at Ohio State, got pushed out, then decided he’d rather take a check for 3 years than jump back into a job. He wants a job now because his checks stop in June? He’s apparently got major health problems in his early 50s. Makes me wonder about his drive to get back in the game particularly at the ACC level. Seems like the guy’s just not well placed to take on a job like this.

The more I think about this, the more obvious it is the Matta has to be our number 1 choice. He has the record, the experience, he wins championships, he can coach and recruit, he's not too old. The biggest question (and it's a big one) is his health.

Plus his hometown is Hoopeston

And WFBMC has a really great neurosurgeon!

I mean at this point Matta has two 120,000 payments May 1st and June 1st.

I'm assuming that Beilein or Matta get hired if interested, but won't be. I'm thinking Forbes' past recruiting penalties at Tennessee have to be a dealbreaker if Wake did just fire Manning for cause. I don't know if either of those things are substantiated, though.

As for unlikely, but possible candidates, what about LaVall Jordan? Pat Chambers? Kevin Willard? Hope we've reached out to Anthony Grant, too. What an absolute bummer for all involved there to have a top 5 team at Dayton and not get to even play in the NCAA tourney...

Any mention of Becker at Vermont or Craig Smith at Utah State? Those two would be totally solid, if unspectacular hires in my opinion.

I think Wes and Bob Richey look like they are going to be good coaches so I'd be cool with either. I just hope they have enough experience at this point to hit the ground running because Wake is currently a situation that demands a coach who has an identity and system (beyond paint touches) and knows how to immediately find talent that fits said identity.

Matta has a Final Four, two Elite Eights and 2 Sweetsixteens under his belt and he is only 52. Recruits and Transfers will line up to play for him.

Even better! That is more than Wake has in our checkered history of basketball achievements.

Last edited:
Matta has a Final Four, two Elite Eights and 2 Sweetsixteens under his belt and he is only 52. Recruits and Transfers will line up to play for him.

They stopped doing that at the end of his tenure at tOSU. His recruiting had slipped (maybe because of his physical issues which made constant travel unbearable) which was the motivation behind the coaching change from tOSU's perspective. Also, Matta is going on his 4th recruiting cycle without scouting or recruiting a player. That's forever in this day and age. Lots of stale contacts. If Matta does get back into a coaching, he better have an assistant that is wired into the current AAU scene.

This is what you said:

So do you think Beilein would have come to Wake if Chaundee stayed? Otherwise why the hell are you wasting time posting about it being a major factor?

I think we would have had a much better chance. A guy JB's age doesn't throw away a year or two.

I know the naysayers will respond in a negative, but the rational will agree. A starting line-up of: Neath, Brown, Massoud, Mucisus and Sarr would be competitive and fit Beilien's style to a T. We could easily have been .500 or a little more. From what I've seen on tape, Watson is another guy who would have fit.

They stopped doing that at the end of his tenure at tOSU. His recruiting had slipped (maybe because of his physical issues which made constant travel unbearable) which was the motivation behind the coaching change from tOSU's perspective. Also, Matta is going on his 4th recruiting cycle without scouting or recruiting a player. That's forever in this day and age. Lots of stale contacts. If Matta does get back into a coaching, he better have an assistant that is wired into the current AAU scene.

Most AAU coaches would suck Matta's dick, and the same guys who were in the EYBL 5 years ago are still there. I love unsubstantiated bullshit on this board.

Back