• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

The question isn't whether Wake should take Thad Matta, it's why he'd come to Wake..Fun tidbit: Matta had 21 wins in his second-to-last season at Ohio State. The last time Wake had that many wins was 2008-2009, and we've had two seasons with that many wins in the last 16 years.

Last edited:
“We just lost one of the all-time great people in coaching,” Matta said. “Skip Prosser was a great coach and an even better human being. He was one of the most helpful people I’ve ever been around. While I was at Xavier, Coach Prosser was the first person I’d call if I had a problem. He knew instantly where to steer me to help me succeed. When I was considering the job at Ohio State he gave me advice throughout the process. He told me he would crawl to Ohio State to take the job.”

Great quote by Matta about Skip. Also some disparaging Thad because he is just sitting on sidelines taking a check while not coaching might not know the exact issues surrounding his health the last few years. Heck if the health is related to stress then WF is quite possibly the best Power conf. team to coach as clearly we put no pressure on our coaches to actually put results on the floor and yet he can go head to head against top teams in country. He could get back into coaching in an environment where it is really about student athletes and he can get an all star staff around him to recruit and do a lot of the grunt work while he runs the xs and os and clearly his reputation would be a monster boost to recruiting. Would be an absolute major winner if Currie could reel him in and think it might just make a lot of sense for both parties.

Any chance Anthony Grant is available? Can't really see it, but he's losing Obi Toppin next year. He's actually older than Thad Matta, which is pretty wild. Is Wake a better job than Dayton right now? Yikes.

Guys where does a back hot tub rank in the pantheon of nice things?
Above front hot tub?
Above keeping room?
Below maple fridge?
Above above ground pool?

I have a back hot tub, it's pretty fucking high on the importance list. Above keeping room just ever slow slightly below maple fridge, unless of course your hot tub is maple paneled.

Beilein out due to $$$$. He wanted too much.

If they gave him a lot, when we replace him in 4-7 years, the next guy would want to paid close to the same amount.

I have a back hot tub, it's pretty fucking high on the importance list. Above keeping room just ever slow slightly below maple fridge, unless of course your hot tub is maple paneled.

Both of you are overlooking the cedar sauna, which is extra clutch. Warms you up before a work out, or feels good right before jumping into a cool inground pool.

I’m trying to get rid of my backyard Hot tub. It was cool for a couple of years And it’s in great shape but I’m essentially going to give it away if someone comes to get it. Not a fan of the upkeep and I can always buy a small, 2 person tub down the road.

I mean even if Matta doesn’t work out over five years it’s still a home run hire right now without being fortune tellers.

I’m trying to get rid of my backyard Hot tub. It was cool for a couple of years And it’s in great shape but I’m essentially going to give it away if someone comes to get it. Not a fan of the upkeep and I can always buy a small, 2 person tub down the road.

Beilen, it's not too late!

I am warming to Thad. Maybe it’s too long of an afternoon in the hot tub.

Only on a WFU board would people be talking down the possibility of hiring a coach with 2 final hours and a lot of other success. If Matta wants the job, Wake absolutely should hire him. You don't turn him down for UNCG's coach.

Matta is a home run hire. I’d be happy with Forbes or Miller. Beyond that of the mentioned names I’m generally meh

Hiring Matta to coach Wake is similar to the Gordon Ramsey giving out samples at Costco or Steve Harvey calling Bingo commercials. The fact anyone that likes Wake and has endured the past 10 years could find a negative in that happening is beyond reality. The rest of the conversation should just be about other candidates as it will be assumed that every post has the disclaimer of "unless of course Currie can somehow convince Matta to take the job".

Matta is a home run hire. I’d be happy with Forbes or Miller. Beyond that of the mentioned names I’m generally meh

This is about where I’m at. Kelsey wouldn’t completely break my heart but there’s too much risk involved. He understands WF and has recruiting ties but still would be very risky, which we can’t afford. I guess I’d consider him a boom or bust.

Only on a WFU board would people be talking down the possibility of hiring a coach with 2 final hours and a lot of other success. If Matta wants the job, Wake absolutely should hire him. You don't turn him down for UNCG's coach.

yep
it's rather silly

Wes Miller is the next Josh Pastner.

Hot take? Sure.
But that's the vibe I've always gotten off of him.

Last edited:

This is about where I’m at. Kelsey wouldn’t completely break my heart but there’s too much risk involved. He understands WF and has recruiting ties but still would be very risky, which we can’t afford. I guess I’d consider him a boom or bust.

giphy.gif

Don’t understand the Amaker hate. He’s much more qualified than Wes and Kelsey IMO.

Back