• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

If those two don't work out, I'd put the search firm to work looking at P6 assistants before settling that any of the remaining 4 are the best choice. But with a gun to my head, Miller (with a firm understanding that his name doesn't get him special treatment if he fails), Kelsey (with a short leash...cut bait if he's not making major headway), Amaker (low ceiling, but known floor) and then a big gap to Odom. Odom even being on the list just seems like a favor to pops. He's, by far, the least qualified in experience and results.

I'm sorry, but this P6 assistant search makes zero sense. You'd rather have a P6 assistant than Kelsey who was a P6 assistant and has head coaching experience or Odom who has P6 assistant experience and head coaching experience. I just don't get this at all. Basically you are saying that if Kelsey had just stayed with Mack all these years he'd be a more viable candidate than he is now having HC experience under his belt? That's just silly.

I really hope interviewing Odom is a professional courtesy, largely out of respect to his father. Miller clearly the better choice there, 16 seed v 1 seed W aside.

I'm sorry, but this P6 assistant search makes zero sense. You'd rather have a P6 assistant than Kelsey who was a P6 assistant and has head coaching experience or Odom who has P6 assistant experience and head coaching experience. I just don't get this at all. Basically you are saying that if Kelsey had just stayed with Mack all these years he'd be a more viable candidate than he is now having HC experience under his belt? That's just silly.

I didn't say I'd rather have them for sure. I said I'd rather open it back up than just settle on a list of current head coaches with Wake connections after striking out on our top two candidates. If we have to make (what I feel is) a big jump down, it's time to expand the search. Kelsey was a P6 assistant who was passed up for for the head job at the school he was at. Odom's coming off a losing season. There are likely better options out there.

At some level, we know Kelsey and Odom's ceilings at their current jobs and how that might translate to Wake. There are likely other assistants out there working for really good HC's who have greater potential ceilings that may be worth the trade-off of less experience.

Last edited:
I really hope interviewing Odom is a professional courtesy, largely out of respect to his father. Miller clearly the better choice there, 16 seed v 1 seed W aside.

I keep telling myself that this is the case and that the Amaker interview is just a courtesy for Hatch, so that we can be in the same sentence as Harvard.

I didn't say I'd rather have them for sure. I said I'd rather open it back up than just settle on a list of current head coaches with Wake connections. Kelsey was a P6 assistant who was passed up for for the head job at the school he was at. There are likely better options out there.

Kelsey is absolutely a much better candidate than any P6 assistant with no HC experience.

Say in the last 10-15 years? I'm struggling to think of one...but I could be wrong.

Kelsey is absolutely a much better candidate than any P6 assistant with no HC experience.
Can you assuredly sat that there weren't any assistants out there who might have done a better job than [Redacted] or Manning? They both had strong resumes as assistants and HC experience. Experience is one part of the job, but once you jump down a level to long shots like Kelsey, it's not a guarantee of anything.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Wake hires Matta. It makes absolutely too much sense.

I want to be proven wrong. I don't think I will.

Can you assuredly sat that there weren't any assistants out there who might have done a better job than [Redacted] or Manning? They both had strong resumes as assistants and HC experience. Experience is one part of the job, but once you jump down a level to long shots like Kelsey, it's not a guarantee of anything.
Regardless, P6 assistants or other mid-major HC's, if we can't land Matta or Forbes, surely we can expand our list beyond a group of modulator HC's with Wake connections? Why limit ourselves that much? Or do you think that beyond Forbes, Miller/Kelsey/Odom are the best mid-major coaches out there?

I just can't imagine that Currie would hire a Dukie flame out after the fiasco he got himself into at Tennessee. He can't be that dumb.

Still doubting that Amaker was on campus. Also, think I heard that Forbes and Miller are represented by the same agent. Must be one of Goodman’s sources.

Back