• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

The anti-Kelsey narrative IS his experience. His team's haven't made a huge jump. He walked away from a "next step" job at the last minute. His D sucks.

Gregg Marshall showed that Winthrop has a much higher ceiling than Kelsey has managed to reach.

I see that. But the defensive numbers are skewed by their tempo. Nearly all the top teams in tempo have below average KP defensive ratings. I'll wrap my evening with this...

1. I have a gut feeling Kelsey would kill it here, especially in recruiting.
2. The echo chamber of maybe 50 folks who post here might be disappointed if Kelsey gets the job, but the general population that follows the Deacs a tad less than we do will find it an exciting hire.

I really hope interviewing Odom is a professional courtesy, largely out of respect to his father. Miller clearly the better choice there, 16 seed v 1 seed W aside.

This. Those who think Odom is a serious candidate grossly underestimate Currie’s desire to have a good basketball team.

Man, you just keep moving the goal posts and making it more and more specific. Can I play?

Name one mid-major assistant who returned to a P6 school where he was once an assistant to lead a turnaround, while never getting his mid-major into the Top 100 and failing to come close to matching the potential the mid-major had shown under a previous coach.

I can add additional stipulations if needed to make it a more appropriate comparison...

Ok, I lied. Can't leave with that one waiting a response. Touché. Still, I can name mid-major coaches that never have a Top 100 team that did succeed at the P6 level.

I see that. But the defensive numbers are skewed by their tempo. Nearly all the top teams in tempo have below average KP defensive ratings. I'll wrap my evening with this...

2. The echo chamber of maybe 50 folks who post here might be disappointed if Kelsey gets the job, but the general population that follows the Deacs a tad less than we do will find it an exciting hire.

The "general population" of Deacs fans have no clue who Pat Kelsey is.

Gut feelings are fine, I guess. But if we are to the point where gut feelings are large part of the choice, we should at least expand the search beyond a tiny group of coaches with Wake ties.

Joel, built in 1989. Purchased in 2013. Renovations started shortly after purchase and continue.

Counselor your argument we haven't built and arena in 80 years is a farcical attempt to prove a point you have been hammered on repeatedly here. Please stop embarrassing yourself and shut the fuck up.

Judgment - you are a dumbass.

Last edited:
According to Forbes twitter, he was participating in a town hall at an East Tennessee Goodwill this morning.

I’m going with Conor (and DR on Wes) on this one, but wouldn’t mind being wrong on Forbes.
Jeff Goodman says Forbes and Miller are the leading candidates but sure let’s believe stadium man donald ross, i will believe Les and Goodman’s source all damn day.

There are tons of major coaches who rose up directly from an assistant coaching role, even in my 5 minutes of research:

Tony Bennett
Chris Mack
Roy Williams
Jim Boeheim
Mike Hopkins
Greg Gard
Tom Izzo
Matt Painter
Chris Collins
Steve Wojo
Jamie Dixon
Frank Martin

I'm sure I missed some. The hard part with assistants is knowing which ones are good since their product is far less visible than a head coach, hence why the majority (but not all) are promotions at the school they were an assistant at.

Ok, I lied. Can't leave with that one waiting a response. Touché. Still, I can name mid-major coaches that never have a Top 100 team that did succeed at the P6 level.

But was it in the last season? 2 years ago doesn't count. And did he lead a turnaround back to the Top 25 after the worst 11 years in history?

Last edited:
As sure as Giles’ silent verbal?

I only repeated what I was told about Giles...he never told me he was coming to Wake. I did not have first hand information.

This...is different.

All I can say is that Amaker was at Wake Forest today.

I only repeated what I was told about Giles...he never told me he was coming to Wake. I did not have first hand information.

This...is different.

All I can say is that Amaker was at Wake Forest today.

Was he strolling around looking at buildings or was he greeted by someone and walked in to the AD’s office?

Back