• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Knew Wes's dad back in the day at Wake. Great guy, smart, highly motivated and obviously very loyal to wake forest. From what I understand his son wanted to walk on at Wake but Prosser did not have a spot. I am sure he grew up a big Wake fan for what its worth. He then goes to James Madison for a year and then gets an offer to play in his home state at UNC as a walk on. He ended up being a solid contributor on a talented UNC team. He played great defense, hustled his ass off and made few mistakes aka played smart basketball. I would say he overachieved as a player. Then he has a few stops as an assistant coach after his playing days are over and lands at UNCG as an assistant. Midway thru his first season the head coach either gets fired or resigns. Wes takes over and makes a great second half run and is rewarded with the head coach job. He has built a shitty program into a solid one and will leave UNCG in a much better place. I think his is smart, highly motivated, has alot of energy and would be good fit for Wake. Forbes I am sure would be a good choice as well. But he does have some Wake roots so to speak and obviously wanted to play in the ACC. Not sure it is smart to take a pass because he played a few years at UNC.

Well said.

Really don't care about someone's alma mater; I mean, fuck those guys, but I'd still hire someone if they were the best. But I'm just not feeling Wes.

I agree, but I hope we can agree on the following alma mater rankings: University of Wake Forrest > Southern Arkansas University > Xavier University > University of North Carolina > Duke University.

To those worried about Wes leaving Wake for UNC, if that scenario happens, it would mean he was very successful at Wake and would leave Wake in a much better position than when he found it. I don't see a downside here. That said, I prefer Matta or Forbes.

Exactly. And exactly.

quit screwing around and just bring Andy and Amanda Enfield here, now.

c43985ab432d4bb5fd224ada4e212104.jpg
BHYkPECCAAA93mk.jpg

As others have stated, I don't see why it matters that Miller went to UNC.

If we started beating UNC in basketball on a regular basis, do you think their fanbase would really feel better about the fact that it was Wes Miller coaching our team? And if so, why would you care?

I actually think that would be a great scenario... They'd be pissed that they let him get away while they're stuck with Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens, or some other LOSER.

Bottom line: I care about the success of Wake Forest basketball. I don't give a shit about other schools or their fans.

I don't care that Miller went to UNC. I've said before, my concern is who is dad is and how long a leash he'll get if he doesn't succeed at Wake. With that said, now that I think about it, no matter who the next coach is, they will probably have a long leash anyway so fuck it. If it's Miller, it's Miller.

Let's get this shit done and get back to winning!

If it was Forbes that was from UNC, he would still be the better candidate. I don’t care where they’re from, I just want wins. Forbes is the guy who will get us wins.

Dabo Swinney is an Alabama alum and played for the Tide.... I'll take a wild guess that most Clemson fans could not care less.

I don't know if Miller is right for the job but, at this point, I'd love to see some actual progress and eventually WINS!!!! Lots of WINS!!!

I am sure it is a total waste, but I just sent an email to Currie with a big NO on little Wes. I quoted former Deacon QB quarterback great Larry Russell, "We aren't hiring no g.d. Tar Heel".

Yeah, I'm to the point I don't care of the coach of the Iranian national team is the best candidate, I just want a coach that will get us back to some prominence without getting us in trouble.

From my perspective this is not about Miller having played at UNC. This is about Roy Williams turning 70 this year. He will be replaced in the next 3-5years and as we know, UNC hires "within the family" Miller comes to WAKE and stinks up the place, we made a bad decision. Miller succeeds and brings us back to top 1/2 of the conference, he's definitely on the UNC SHORT SHORT list. The thought of losing a successful coach to the blue goats is nauseating. And WE absolutely would lose him.

I am sure it is a total waste, but I just sent an email to Currie with a big NO on little Wes. I quoted former Deacon QB quarterback great Larry Russell, "We aren't hiring no g.d. Tar Heel".

And right then, Wes's courtship died.

From my perspective this is not about Miller having played at UNC. This is about Roy Williams turning 70 this year. He will be replaced in the next 3-5years and as we know, UNC hires "within the family" Miller comes to WAKE and stinks up the place, we made a bad decision. Miller succeeds and brings us back to top 1/2 of the conference, he's definitely on the UNC SHORT SHORT list. The thought of losing a successful coach to the blue goats is nauseating. And WE absolutely would lose him.

Is it possible that his contract could include a clause preventing him from opportunities at other ACC schools (or one ACC school)?

You're right, it was!

Bones McKinney went to UNC (and NC State too). Bring on Miller if he is the guy.

Is it possible that his contract could include a clause preventing him from opportunities at other ACC schools (or one ACC school)?

If he's willing to sign that away, i'm warmer. But I REALLY doubt he'd do that.

Back