• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

I was told that the only person offered the position was the one who took it, Steve Forbes.

so was Matta not our top candidate if he indeed toured, or did he turn us down before we offered/didn't seem interested so we didn't offer first?

Skip connected with the students. Forbes seems like someone who might better connect with the community. And, long term, that's what Wake athletics really, really needs.

Usually disagree with you on just about everything, but a fabulous point.

I have come around on Forbes in the last 24 hours. The dude wins, number one. And I trust he and Currie had enough conversations about how to calibrate the whole private university / student athlete thing. Currie had at least one other quality candidate must on here agree, if not two or three - so the simple fact that Currie chose Forbes gives me a ton of hope.

I too second that idea that on May 20th, if the NCAA decides that players can one time transfer and retain eligibility, we are in an ideal position. And Forbes has 20 days to assess his roster and his 2021 recruitment targets and go after transfer portal players to fill the gaps.

I posted this earlier in the thread. Still seems relevant: Here's what the "not a Wake guy" is code for--an asshole who isn't able to put on the "good guy" face for people like Hatch, Wellman, the blue haired donors, etc. Dino was in the same category. They aren't guys who are going to play that game. Clawson is a master of it. He has just the right amount of asshole in his personality to make him a great coach on the field and just enough good guy to win over the powers that be. Forbes definitely doesn't seem to fit that mode. And I'm glad. Unless we can find a football version of Clawson, which we can't, then I would much rather have someone who is not a "Wake guy" who wins than a "Wake guy" who is a loser. We have had 10 years of that.

Those boys on the ETSU board are delusional. They have a lot of uhh interesting concepts about what Wake Forest is lol. Can't say I blame them. I'd be upset if my coach was poached this late in the year as well.

so was Matta not our top candidate if he indeed toured, or did he turn us down before we offered/didn't seem interested so we didn't offer first?

yeah, I'm curious about this too. Sounds like Currie preferred Forbes to Matta. I'm pretty pumped about getting Forbes, but I am very curious what went down w/ Matta.

I think the blue hairs are mad because it's not this Steve Forbes:

2a285856910828b7dcef07cfaeefe22d

They were expecting business tips!

Still no flights scheduled for today from Johnson City area. Though, like someone mentioned earlier, Forbes could be the type guy who is loading up his truck this morning to head to Winston for a few days.

Ty Brewer & Jalen Johnson recently announced they were transferring to ETSU... Wonder if they are in play for Wake?

If this Forbes deal gets done, I will be super-excited. I've been thinking for 2+ years that he would end up somewhere P6 and completely kill it, but had major doubts that it'd be at Wake.

I’m down with a dude who assisted good/great coaches on good/great teams, then succeeded on his own as HC.

55 years old sounds fine to me. Old enough to have accrued wisdom and experience, but not too old to work. It’s the ACC. 1/2 of the coaches in the league are like 70+ years old. With his background, despite being 55, I’d imagine he’s got the “hunger.”

I’m all in if he’s the hire.

Very, very happy with Forbes. Dude just wins basketball games. Got a solid test for himself as soon as he gets here to try to recruit Sarr/Neath back and fill those four scholarships!

I want to believe Forbes' ceiling may not be Gregg Marshall's, but something very close. I put a lot of stock in Forbes working with him.

All the pearl clutching over Forbes is actually changing my opinion on him - Forbes is exactly the kind of guy we need.

Back