• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Forbes has been offered and accepted. Done deal.

Best choice we could have made. Fans are going to love Forbes, as will the players.

Also, Forbes is basically THE hot mid-major coach who Wellman was unable to get in our previous searches. Different circumstances of course, but kudos to Currie for getting his guy.

so was Matta not our top candidate if he indeed toured, or did he turn us down before we offered/didn't seem interested so we didn't offer first?

Maybe Currie had some of the Same reservations about Matta that several here had. Maybe he just didn’t see enough interest in the job or fire in his belly, or maybe he wasn’t convinced that health wouldn’t be an issue. Regardless, how long has it been since one of our top candidates was hired?!

yeah, I'm curious about this too. Sounds like Currie preferred Forbes to Matta. I'm pretty pumped about getting Forbes, but I am very curious what went down w/ Matta.

He was contacted early and both parties discussed it and decided it was not a good fit. Don't get too far in thew weeds here, I am reasonably certain it was a health issue. As Goodman and Daniels reported, it came down to Forbes and Wes Miller in the end and either choice would have been a good one IMO

Skip connected with the students. Forbes seems like someone who might better connect with the community. And, long term, that's what Wake athletics really, really needs.

Well if that's what you want you want Kelsey or Miller. We don't think they "might." We know they do that.

Also, Forbes is basically THE hot mid-major coach who Wellman was unable to get in our previous searches. Different circumstances of course, but kudos to Currie for getting his guy.

You ready for some weird times in the hot tub?!

All the pearl clutching over Forbes is actually changing my opinion on him - Forbes is exactly the kind of guy we need.

Agreed. I'll take the biggest asshole we can find so long as he wins. I don't care if we're on some meaningless probation a few years later, just win something for once.

Skip connected with the students. Forbes seems like someone who might better connect with the community. And, long term, that's what Wake athletics really, really needs.

This is a great take. I hope it’s true. I’m excited. I’m also just happy to have a coach who I know who he is when the name gets leaked.

Like, if a successful college basketball coach has kids that look like this, he must be all right.

EUC6gLVWkAIM7eH

BTTT!

John Currie has earned his keep. Proud of his determination and success (during a pandemic!)

He was contacted early and both parties discussed it and decided it was not a good fit. Don't get too far in thew weeds here, I am reasonably certain it was a health issue. As Goodman and Daniels reported, it came down to Forbes and Wes Miller in the end and either choice would have been a good one IMO

i would have been happy with either as well. Instant optimism at this point is a good feeling for a change

John Currie you beautiful motherfucker, first firing Manning and now getting Forbes. Steve Forbes is a flat out WINNER!!!

3161adbfe34977b8a998855500c71e28.jpg

He wasn’t making much money at Northwest Florida State, so he let his wife have the car while he drove a scooter to work everyday. Love this guy.

Back