• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New coaching search thread

Still no flights scheduled for today from Johnson City area. Though, like someone mentioned earlier, Forbes could be the type guy who is loading up his truck this morning to head to Winston for a few days.
Wait, he drives a truck? WHAT HAVE WE DONE?!?! THIS IS BENEATH US!!!

The actual results with ultimately be the judge, but we actually hit a home run on paper at least? There is hope again!!!!!!!!

Age of a 55 year old coach should never be a big deal. If he coaches for 15 years at Wake and retires at 70, we will all be thrilled that we hired him because he was good. If he sucks he'll be gone before it matters.

Plus this is the first time he's really getting PAID, so hopefully he coaches for a long time to put some extra away.

Well if that's what you want you want Kelsey or Miller. We don't think they "might." We know they do that.

But if we want a BIG winner, Wake wants Forbes! A guy who wins 24-30 games a year in his prior league for five straight years!

Exactly the type of guy we need!
Back up the truck. He may drive a Ferrari for all I know, but he strikes me as a truck guy. Hope he's a Chevy/GMC guy though, because Flow doesn't have Ford dealership.

Forbes is a proven leader and he is also a successful change agent, which all great leaders are. Retrospectively, we haven’t had a change agent in this job since Skip. Forbes is so unlike the last two coaches. That alone is cause for optimism!

i may day drink at this news

i actually care about wake basketball again
there was a glimpse of caring when wake beat louisville at home. that was in the moment. this is hope for the future

55 is prime. Anyone thinking otherwise doesn’t value wisdom and self actualizatiin

Love this hire. What’s his coaching style like? Offensive mind? Defensive mind?

Skip connected with the students. Forbes seems like someone who might better connect with the community. And, long term, that's what Wake athletics really, really needs.

Yep. Being from East TN, I've kept up with Forbes. He is perfect for community outreach and connecting to the students.

If this is true, I am beyond elated.

I am ecstatic about Forbes. A personality similar to Skip with Odom's ability to coach defense.

When comparing Forbes and Miller, Forbes not only has the more impressive background, but he also beat up on UNCG and Miller on a regular basis.

But if we want a BIG winner, Wake wants Forbes! A guy who wins 24-30 games a year in his prior league for five straight years!

Exactly, I don't care how old a guy is, I don't care how he connects with students, all I care about is he's not slimy and he wins. We needed to hire somebody with a strong sustained history of winning, not like Bzzzz who had one great year and was good with socks, not like Manning who had been a head coach for all of 2 years and had a good half of one year, we needed a proven winner. Appears that is what we're getting, no guarantee he'll do that here, but this is the type of hire we needed.

Love this hire. What’s his coaching style like? Offensive mind? Defensive mind?

He said he "recruits offense and coaches defense." I imagine his teams will play with great energy, defend well, and win the majority of the 50/50 balls.

He was part of a staff that brought a top ten recruiting class to Louisiana Tech. That's pretty damn impressive.

Back