• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Concessions

I don't know how much to believe all this talk about the catering. Lots of it's coming from non-frequent posters that certainly seem like they are probably either the owners of Catered Affairs or close to the owners. But some more established posters in there as well.

If it's true, it's all pretty damn LOWF if the food is what gets people riled up even though we're in the middle of one of the worst stretches in the history of our revenue sports with no clear light at the end of the tunnel.

Wine and cheese crowd indeed.

CP3 weighed in on the catering???

Yes. At the 10 year reunion of West Forsyth High School Class of 2003, which Catered Affairs catered in Deacon Tower (their last event in the Tower), CP3 was told that Catered Affairs was out. He was in disbelief and immediately (and I DO mean immediately) phoned his mother to tell her. She told him to tell the owners of Catered Affairs that she would no longer have any events at Deacon Tower and wherever Catered Affairs is, is where she would be!

I don't know how much to believe all this talk about the catering. Lots of it's coming from non-frequent posters that certainly seem like they are probably either the owners of Catered Affairs or close to the owners. But some more established posters in there as well.

If it's true, it's all pretty damn LOWF if the food is what gets people riled up even though we're in the middle of one of the worst stretches in the history of our revenue sports with no clear light at the end of the tunnel.

Not sure why that surprises you given the size of the Wake Forest family. Relationships mean a lot to many of graduates from the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. They grew up with crappy sports for the most part but the WF community and the relationships that those people made during there time there defined and really enhanced the college experience. Wellman took the step to crap on these people with a move like this.

I know I'm a NCSU guy but my entire family has WF ties and I've grown up around great people, who for the most part, were all heavily involved or connected with WF. The coaching blunders can be fixed, the personal relationships that are now strained cannot.

I'm surprised because the mission of Wake Forest athletics is, you know, athletics.

Was Catered Affairs even capable of handling the contract Wake was looking to give out? Full concessions at both BB&T and the Joel is a different from just running the Tower.

This thread does not deliver. Much more fun could be had by "helping" them name the bundled meals:

1. "The Grobe Wrap" - The Award Winning Favorite from 2006. Starting to grow stale, and certainly not worth the hefty asking price.

2. "The Bzz Burger" - Meatless, sauceless, limp burger bun. Pulled off the menu of three competitor's restaurants. For some reason, still endorsed by Carmelo Anthony.

3. "The Wellman Special" - A different mess of the chef's own making for every season of the year, served with a tall glass of shut the hell up.

Yes. At the 10 year reunion of West Forsyth High School Class of 2003, which Catered Affairs catered in Deacon Tower (their last event in the Tower), CP3 was told that Catered Affairs was out. He was in disbelief and immediately (and I DO mean immediately) phoned his mother to tell her. She told him to tell the owners of Catered Affairs that she would no longer have any events at Deacon Tower and wherever Catered Affairs is, is where she would be!

Further alienating probably the biggest name athlete from Wake in the past decade? Color me shocked.

TBR, the wine and cheese crowd is only going to complete about...well...wine and cheese.

I'm surprised because the mission of Wake Forest athletics is, you know, athletics.

Was Catered Affairs even capable of handling the contract Wake was looking to give out? Full concessions at both BB&T and the Joel is a different from just running the Tower.

I heard that they actually made a detailed proposal to Wellman that included Athletics buying their company and their management team running the entire operation including the Joel. The proposal showed WF making over seven figures per year in profit, and having high quality food and service in every venue.
Casstevens turned it down in favor of Ovations

I heard that they actually made a detailed proposal to Wellman that included Athletics buying their company and their management team running the entire operation including the Joel. The proposal showed WF making over seven figures per year in profit, and having high quality food and service in every venue.

This is all well and good, but none of that says it was a better deal than what Ovations was offering (and, the answer to my original question seems to be a no).

I would wager that the quality of the food so far was not what Wake agreed to.

Well if the info in another thread about indiscretions is true, that's another reason why the AD would want to go in a different direction.

Well if the info in another thread about indiscretions is true, that's another reason why the AD would want to go in a different direction.

So Catered affairs had sex with a coed, and Casstevens hired the Jeff [Redacted] of catering companies?! Damn those vague, irresistible Wake coeds! They're ruining our athletic department!

So Catered affairs had sex with a coed, and Casstevens hired the Jeff [Redacted] of catering companies?! Damn those vague, irresistible Wake coeds! They're ruining our athletic department!

You've got that wrong. The alleged sex involved a former Catered Affairs employee and a member of the Athletic Department...allegedly, the encounter(s) happened in the WF Athletics RV and/or in the Bridger Field House bar.

My opinion is that Catered Affairs wasn't great, but Ovations is making them look awesome in comparison. All Ovations had to do was serve up decent food quickly. Catered Affairs served up decent food slowly. Ovations is failing at that and it sucks. It wasn't that hard to improve on, but Ovations is failing miserably.

You've got that wrong. The alleged sex involved a former Catered Affairs employee and a member of the Athletic Department...allegedly, the encounter(s) happened in the WF Athletics RV and/or in the Bridger Field House bar.

Dude, WGAF? Can we stop with the innuendos please?

My opinion is that Catered Affairs wasn't great, but Ovations is making them look awesome in comparison. All Ovations had to do was serve up decent food quickly. Catered Affairs served up decent food slowly. Ovations is failing at that and it sucks. It wasn't that hard to improve on, but Ovations is failing miserably.

It amazes me how one of the largest food service operations in the country, with resources backed by Comcast, ($14 billion) can't come close to producing the quality of food and service that the small, local company did. Ovations promised fresh and delivered frozen and pre-cooked. They promised to buy local and only buy from a national purveyor. They sold WF a bag of lies and WF bought it and now the patrons are suffering even more. The quality can never be corrected with this company running the show, but after a few months, fans will forget about the quality served in the past and this garbage will become the standard like the food served at the Joel. Very sad, but very typical for WF Athletics.

It amazes me how one of the largest food service operations in the country, with resources backed by Comcast, ($14 billion) can't come close to producing the quality of food and service that the small, local company did. Ovations promised fresh and delivered frozen and pre-cooked. They promised to buy local and only buy from a national purveyor. They sold WF a bag of lies and WF bought it and now the patrons are suffering even more. The quality can never be corrected with this company running the show, but after a few months, fans will forget about the quality served in the past and this garbage will become the standard like the food served at the Joel. Very sad, but very typical for WF Athletics.

So wait...Ovations pulled a Ron Wellman on Ron Wellman?

Don't agree. It means that our AD sux so bad they can't even get the hotdogs right. The whole effort from recruiting to cooking is a steaming pile of crap

Back