• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Football Commit: Sheldon Lewinson

If he's gonna be used as a NT this signals a somewhat longer stint for the team in the 3-4 moving forward. Interesting strategy, it's going to be intriguing to see how this pays off.

Another smallish NG? Dang.

No.

I would guess that he'll be 6' 2'' and 270-280 by the time he's a RS freshman and ready to play. Combine that with his strength and quickness and you have a pretty good NG.

If he's gonna be used as a NT this signals a somewhat longer stint for the team in the 3-4 moving forward. Interesting strategy, it's going to be intriguing to see how this pays off.

Not necessarily - lots of 4-man fronts designate one man as the NT and the other as the DT

I don't understand why you would want a small NG in the 3-4. Can someone explain?

I see the utility of a quick NG, but it seems like a good center or at least a good blocking scheme could neutralize that pretty quickly.

I don't understand why you would want a small NG in the 3-4. Can someone explain?

Jim Grobe does not run your typical 3-4. In your typical 3-4 you have three defensive linemen and each of the three of them are responsible for three gaps in run protection (DE's are responsible for the inside and outside gaps around the tackles while the NT is responsible for the gaps on either side of the center). This is how things are done in the NFL and this is why most 3-4 DL are large individuals (this is why you'll commonly hear criticisms about DEs being not big and strong enough to play DE in a 3-4 scheme or able to be a typical "5-technique" DE).

I see the utility of a quick NG, but it seems like a good center or at least a good blocking scheme could neutralize that pretty quickly.

It depends, with the proliferation of the shotgun spread option offense in college football, a quicker NT would be preferred over a larger one because of his ability to get into the backfield and take away the dive while the center is still getting set after snapping the ball. A good blocking scheme certainly helps, but with how spread out offensive linemen are taught to stand in modern football, combined with the fact that you don't know which gap the NT is going to shoot, makes a smaller, faster NT an attractive option.

HTML:
Less than two years after his first organized football game, Armwood NG Shelldon Lewinson is a bona fide Division I commitment.

Our staff seems to focus on guys who are relatively new to football and perhaps are for that reason over-looked by major programs. If we are identifying talent correctly, this could be a very smart way to go.

We'll see. It's a departure from the system recruiting.

Several good answers above. Here is an analysis of Wade Phillips 3-4:

Nor does Phillips' plan require a massive nose tackle. Sure, he will use them when he can get them (again, think San Diego with 340+ lb Jamal Williams), but they are not required because, in Phillips' scheme, the nose tackle has no more responsibility for eating up blockers than does any other defensive lineman. In fact, one of Dallas' starting DEs, Igor Olshansky, weighed more than Dallas' starting NT, Jay Ratliff, who is listed at 6-4/303 (though he is probably closer to 310 these days).

That says why you can get away with a smaller NT but I ran across something the other day that talked about the advantages of a smaller, quicker NT in the 3-4, but I'm having trouble finding it again.

Here it is, I think it was from SBnation:

Much has been made of what type of nose tackle will fill the bill. There is the obvious, short and squatty space-eater of a nose tackle. The Steelers’ Casey Hampton is the best example of this type. The purpose of this type is to take on double teams and is better against the run than rushing the passer. Wade Phillips has certainly used this type of player in Buffalo and Denver
Then there is the other option that Wade Phillips has most recently worked with--the smaller, penetrating nose tackle. This nose tackle is more like a three technique defensive tackle in the 4-3 system. He’s supposed to split double teams and get into the back field. While this puts more run stopping responsibility on linebackers, this type of nose tackle creates matchup nightmares for offensive lines.

Last edited:
Grobe sees the NG in his system as a "playmaker"

Grobe sees the NG in his system as a "playmaker"

Over the years, I've seen quite a few NGs thta were 'disrupters' and 'playmakers'. Not all of them can achieve such status, but if they do, they are extremely valuable.

Over the years, I've seen quite a few NGs thta were 'disrupters' and 'playmakers'. Not all of them can achieve such status, but if they do, they are extremely valuable.

Notre Dame 3 time All-American Chris Zorich (5'11 -280) was one of the best college NG's I've seen. James Parker clearly is well-remembered and highly regarded for his college resume.

One thing I believe is real important for us as fans...what we are "looking for" are potentially outstanding COLLEGE NOSE TACKLES...its great to speculate what guys might look like on Sunday but it is irrelevant to how good they can be and produce as collegians. I've seen so, so many players who excelled in college beyond many of their peers who were better suited for the pro game. That's what we are interested in with these players (Whiotlock, Lewinson etc.,)

Lewinson is a stud...time will tell if he has enough frame to play Pro ball but no doubt in my mind that he can star at the college level. Guy is Fuggin BUILT!

Another kid who will make waves on the DL is young Vogelsang...that guy is strong and you talk about a physique...raw but tremendous upside as a pure athlete. At 6'3 and 268 at DE I expect him to log valuable backup snaps behind Dorty.We don't have a great number of DE prospects but the ones we have will pan out. Kris Redding, Zach Thompson, Desmond Floyd, Godspower Offor and Jordan Pineda represent a group of athletic capacities the staff fully believes will develop into at least 2 All-ACC type players over the next 3-4 years.

Notre Dame 3 time All-American Chris Zorich (5'11 -280) was one of the best college NG's I've seen. James Parker clearly is well-remembered and highly regarded for his college resume.

One thing I believe is real important for us as fans...what we are "looking for" are potentially outstanding COLLEGE NOSE TACKLES...its great to speculate what guys might look like on Sunday but it is irrelevant to how good they can be and produce as collegians. I've seen so, so many players who excelled in college beyond many of their peers who were better suited for the pro game. That's what we are interested in with these players (Whiotlock, Lewinson etc.,)

Lewinson is a stud...time will tell if he has enough frame to play Pro ball but no doubt in my mind that he can star at the college level. Guy is Fuggin BUILT!

Another kid who will make waves on the DL is young Vogelsang...that guy is strong and you talk about a physique...raw but tremendous upside as a pure athlete. At 6'3 and 268 at DE I expect him to log valuable backup snaps behind Dorty.We don't have a great number of DE prospects but the ones we have will pan out. Kris Redding, Zach Thompson, Desmond Floyd, Godspower Offor and Jordan Pineda represent a group of athletic capacities the staff fully believes will develop into at least 2 All-ACC type players over the next 3-4 years.

Another advantage to recruiting players who can be stars at the college level but don't have NFL size is less chance of leaving early (Abbate notwithstanding). The downside, of course, is you are talking about intangible qualities that make a smallish player a college star. If you are wrong or those intangibles change, then the player doesn't have the physical attributes to fall back on to make them a useful player. High risk, high reward.

Back