• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Horizons - Closing in on Pluto

Not as big of a deal when you think we sent men to the moon with far less processing than what's in my cell phone.

Imagine how much money we could have saved by just shooting a new iPhone at Pluto...

For microbes to be responsible for the dark material found on the comet, they would need to be able to survive in some extremely harsh conditions. All of the water on the comet is solid ice or vapor, and the average surface temperature is –70oC (–94oF). It would take some very hardy microbes to survive on this freezing space rock.

I feel (as a layperson) like if there are hardy species like these on Earth, why couldn't there be even more hardy organisms where selective pressures would require it?

that looks like an ewok wrapped in a paper bag. MANMADE.

nh-pluto-7-11-15.jpg

That is awesome. Will it get any closer or go to the Kuiper Belt?

That is awesome. Will it get any closer or go to the Kuiper Belt?

From Reddit: At the closest encounter, New Horizons will be well within ten thousand miles of Pluto (roughly the width of the Earth between the surface of Pluto and the "height" of New Horizons).

After the Pluto encounter is completed within the next few weeks, New Horizons will continue on a trajectory through the Kuiper Belt. NASA is closing in on a few target Kuiper Belt Objects (small rocky bodies floating around in the Kuiper Belt) in order to study them to gain more knowledge on the outer Solar System. One possible KBO is an object by the fancy name of 2014 MU69, which New Horizons is expected to pass in 2019. Space is big!

I feel (as a layperson) like if there are hardy species like these on Earth, why couldn't there be even more hardy organisms where selective pressures would require it?

Depends. The argument could be made that life needed more favorable conditions to begin on Earth and then colonized the harsher climate areas of the planet by adapting to the extreme conditions there. If you start with those harsher climates, it would be harder for life to begin at all.

NASA official @ press conference just said it will take 16 or so months before all the images are received.

That's good because the pictures so far are not exactly mind blowing

Neil deGrasse Tyson was dropping some major Pluto knowledge on Twitter yesterday. I had no idea that Pluto is only 1/6 the size of our Moon.

Back