• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New JJ Abrams show: "Alcatraz"

Inmate dude is hardly phased by the fact that he's 50 years in the future. Seems pretty even keel about the whole bit.

Blonde cop chick made that roof-to-roof leap waaaayyy more easily than her male partner did.

Weirdly enough, he knew where the locker was with the gun and clothes in it, and wasn't totally surprised by the ticket, money, and key in his jacket pocket. He also wasn't wearing a prison jumpsuit or anything suspicious.

A few plot holes, but nothing that can't be overcome.

Weirdly enough, he knew where the locker was with the gun and clothes in it, and wasn't totally surprised by the ticket, money, and key in his jacket pocket. He also wasn't wearing a prison jumpsuit or anything suspicious.

A few plot holes, but nothing that can't be overcome.

Could be that the writers/producers don't want to show their hand too quickly.

It's starting to seem like this Jack guy knows much more than we were originally led to believe.

I bet at the bottom of Alcatraz is a big cork that holds the key to the island.

I'm in. As a member of the Cult of JJ I have to be.

I need to check out the 4400, sounds right up my alley. PhDeac seems rather fond of it and on these boards he's my geek bellwether. So if he likes it that much I'm sure I will.

Hurley as a brilliant scientist??? I guess we'll see what kind of acting chops he actually has. I think it was easy for him to play the role of the good-hearted slacker in Lost.

Also from the JJverse, I started watching Fringe this year. I was sucked in. I was expecting an updated X-Files but it was more than that.

Apparently not a lot. He's the exact same guy, but now he spews random facts about Alcatraz.

Interesting so far, but as expected are building it up a little too much to make any sense 1 hour in.

Judging from this thread, I can't imagine this show sticks around very long. Seems like only two or three of us are watching.

Would also be better if they pretty much didn't use the same music as Lost like when going to commercial

I am sure most people are DVRing it, but I still don't see it sticking around very long. I threw in the towel after the first hour.

Sepinwall and Feinberg didn't like it much. I haven't seen any other positive buzz. I was hoping for better. I'm going to hold out and see if it even stays on the air before checking it out.

The criticism of LOST was that it was hard to gain an audience since there was so much backstory to know. So these shows have gone more toward the CSI crime of the week format to continuously bring in new fewers. But that doesn't hold audience.

I don't know if anybody here watched Dollhouse, a Joss Whedon show. It started the same way. Eliza Dushku looking hot playing a different role every week. Kinda how Alias started but with a different plot. It wasn't really clear where Dollhouse was going. Viewer dropped, the ratings were poor and it barely hung on for 2nd season. But when they had a flash forward ep that got to the whole point of the show, it was a brilliant concept. There's something to be said for making the audience wait, or trying to bring in new audiences, but I think the best thing is to put your cards out there and ask the audience to hold on for the ride.

Last edited:
Judging from this thread, I can't imagine this show sticks around very long. Seems like only two or three of us are watching.

I'm watching, but I don't have much to say. Seems pretty terrible so far. The acting/writing is awful. I like the plot idea, but not enough to ignore the TNT quality production.

This is like Law and Order:X-Files Unit

Last edited:
OK, so I'm watching the end of this now because I don't really care. No doubt they have the guy who did the music for LOST.

Sepinwall and Fienberg made another good point about the show. The plot is somewhat demographically stunted. Week to week the villains are all just going to be 20-30 year old white guy murderers.

Michael Giacchino? I'd be surprised if they got him to do this, but I could be wrong.

I'm a huge fan of Giacchino though. The "Ocean's Twelve Theme" he did in Lost was incredible.

OK, so I'm watching the end of this now because I don't really care. No doubt they have the guy who did the music for LOST.

Sepinwall and Fienberg made another good point about the show. The plot is somewhat demographically stunted. Week to week the villains are all just going to be 20-30 year old white guy murderers.

What's wrong with this though? I can't think of a reason this is a bad thing, honestly. It's historically accurate, and it's intriguing.

End of this episode was a total LOST ending. So much time travel.

Yeah, have this on DVR too. Never watched Lost; not too hopeful after reading this either Ellis.

Wife and I watched the 1st 2 eps of The Firm last night instead. I thought it was OK, but she didn't much care for it.

What do the critics and people on this board think about The Firm?

I may be one of the few who liked last night's Alcatraz. I'm very intrigued to see where they go with this.

I will say that I never watched Lost, but was a big fan of The 4400.

I may be one of the few who liked last night's Alcatraz. I'm very intrigued to see where they go with this.

I will say that I never watched Lost, but was a big fan of The 4400.

Samesies, I have to give Sam Neil another shot after "Daybreakers"

Back