• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Kmart commercial causing some controversy

RollWave35

#KeepPounding
Reaction score
This was already posted in the "You Laugh, You Lose" thread, but it's getting so much press I figured it deserved its own thread:

It's got over 12 million views on YouTube right now.

Sophomoric? Silly? Or a smart strategic move?

The jury is out on a new Kmart ad that uses sleight of mouth to promote a free shipping service. The online video shows customers who exclaim that they are going to "ship their pants" through a Kmart delivery program -- but it sounds as if they are using a vulgar word that sounds very much like ship.

Some social media users deemed the commercial, created by ad agency Draftfcb Chicago, "gross" and "vulgar," while many gave kudos to Kmart for having an edgy sense of humor.

But even with the negative comments, Kmart got what it wanted: Millions of potential shoppers now know that it offers free shipping for members of its "Shop Your Way" program when the product they want isn't in the store.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/04/15/kmart-ship-my-pants-commercial-ad/2084131/

Some of the comments on Kmart's Facebook page:

"Disappointed in your marketing Kmart. No wonder your stores are closing!"

"Kmart's ads are insulting, and their response to complaints shows how out of touch they are with decent family values. "

"Your commerical is disgusting & ridiculous. What point are you trying to make? This was done intentionally to look vulgar. I absolutely cannot believe that people find this hilarious. It says alot about your company & the kind of people you are attracting by this distastful trash. NO CLASS!!!"

"I LOVE the new commercial. I am a former KMart employee, and I always said there needs to be a new marketing campaign. This is hilarious. I can't believe all the negative nellies on here "not approving" of the ad. WHATEVER. "

"LOVE LOVE LOVE the new commercial, Hilarious ...I walked around Kmart yesterday giggling each time I thought of it."

"Your new commercial is the best commercial I have seen in awhile! I hope you do not get too much back lash for it! Way to go Kmart for making me crack up every time I watch it!"

https://www.facebook.com/kmart

So what's the Pit's opinion? Funny or inappropriate? I think it's hilarious, and I got a good laugh at it the first time I saw it.

Last edited:
lol people who aren't rich.

lol!!!!!

I think it is hilarious, but also understand (though I don't agree) why people are up in arms about it.

Seriously, anyone who gets offended by something like that needs a reality check.

Great ad, and not surprised one bit by negative reactions. People will find a way to be insulted by anything and love to express "outrage."

this is the first time in 10 years that kmart has been noted for anything marketing wise, so i'd say it's a win for them. it's not like anyone was shopping there anyway.

hilarious.

oh, and shitty shitty shit shit shitty shitty shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit

Awesome. Remind me of old school IKEA commercials.

That's great. People that get offended by that are too stupid to have an opinion anyways.

love the commercial and for the first time in 15 years i thought about kmart

Back