• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Laptop

CaptainAwesome

Reaction score
I'm sure there have been 100 threads on this before, but I'm in the market for a new laptop and wanted to get the opinion of those who know a lot more about these things than i do. i'd like to keep the cost around $700 if possible.

what i mainly use my current laptop for:
-general student functions (using word, powerpoint, etc.); i do currently have a lot of documents saved on my hard-drive.
-online tv viewing (hulu, etc)
-dvd play
-general online use (facebook, boards, basic gaming, etc)
-have about 3000ish songs saved to itunes
-some pictures saved but not a lot

i dont do photoshop or use any sort of music/video creators.

does anyone have any specific suggestions of models/brands/amount of memory i need?

thanks in advance

I just got a new Lenovo and paid around $700-800. It was one of those Best Buy-only models and was a good deal, comparably. It came with Win7 home, 750gb hd, 6 megs of ram, 15-inch screen, DVD writer, integrated 10-key keyboard, and a shitload of security features (fingerprint and facial recognition). Office was $130 extra, though. I've been really pleased. Lenovo has one of the highest-rated brand reliabilities and they get decent reviews on CNET etc.

Keep an eye on Slickdeals.com. You can also check their previous pages to get an idea of what kind of laptop deals they have found.

IMO right now Asus >>>> Lenovo > Dell >>> everyone else

Yeah but Asus is also pricing their gear on the same line. They're very proud of their stuff. And I'm beyond through with Dell. Their quality has plummeted in the last 10 or so years.

Just look for something w/ around 500GB of HDD space, at least 4 gigs of RAM, and an i5 or >. If you have a bit of time I'd just keep an eye on Slickdeals, like Nonny said. Otherwise, check Amazon vs. Newegg for decent deals.

Yeah but Asus is also pricing their gear on the same line. They're very proud of their stuff. And I'm beyond through with Dell. Their quality has plummeted in the last 10 or so years.

I got mine awhile ago for a pretty good price without it being any sort of special deal on amazon. I think it's just a matter of finding the right model at the right time.

I picked up an ASUS at BestBuy over Christmas $599 for 600GB, 6 gigs of RAM, 15.6" screen, and an i5. Nice laptop. Not pricey.

BTW, the "New Laptop" thread is a good resource. (Yes, it has the exact same name.)

I picked up an ASUS at BestBuy over Christmas $599 for 600GB, 6 gigs of RAM, 15.6" screen, and an i5. Nice laptop. Not pricey.

Yep, this is basically the model/price range I think he'd be looking at for what he does too.

Back