• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Law School Dean

Apparently a renowned scholar on motherhood and the law, women's rights, prisoner's rights and domestic violence. She is also the Chair of the University Task Force on gender equality. Please don't think I am cherry picking these attributes, they are all together in one paragraph.

My top 3 criteria for a law school dean would be:
1. Connections for jobs and speakers
2. Fundraising ability
3. Scholarly gravitas

Reading her bio, I am under impressed.

Probably a nepotism hire which will drive Ph crazy.

Apparently a renowned scholar on motherhood and the law, women's rights, prisoner's rights and domestic violence. She is also the Chair of the University Task Force on gender equality. Please don't think I am cherry picking these attributes, they are all together in one paragraph.

My top 3 criteria for a law school dean would be:
1. Connections for jobs and speakers
2. Fundraising ability
3. Scholarly gravitas

Reading her bio, I am under impressed.

Yeah. Wake should be getting an Associate Dean from a high tier law school. Who were the other finalists?

Yeah. Wake should be getting an Associate Dean from a high tier law school. Who were the other finalists?

Professor Aiken has also been active in the law school’s administration, serving as Associate Dean for Experiential Education and then Vice Dean for the Law Center.

Georgetown is a T-14 law school. Sounds like she’s exactly who you think Wake should be getting.

My bad. Experiential Education doesn't read like it's high on the organizational chart.

I would say that Wake is a teaching law school first and foremost, so long as she continues the school in that mold, I will be happy.

We had two great deans, back-to-back, so she's got tough acts to follow.

I would say that Wake is a teaching law school first and foremost, so long as she continues the school in that mold, I will be happy.

We had two great deans, back-to-back, so she's got tough acts to follow.

Agreed. A lot of her scholarship appears to be in the area of legal education and specifically clinical pedagogy (something Wake has expanded, because the law school market and the job market demands it, significantly over the past 10 years - I think there were 2 clinics when I graduated and I believe there are 8 now, plus 3 or 4 semester externship programs, plus summer externship programs).

Back