• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Name for BB&T Field?

BB&T is a great bank. SunTrust, on the other hand, sucks balls. The new bank, I'm certain would retain naming rights but hopefully Wake would have veto rights of some sort, in case the bank picks something like "SweatyBalls Savings" as their new name.

(RIP Blue Ball Bank of PA)

Really awful for Winston. Even the consumer banking arm will be in Atlanta. Winston loses everything.

The thing BB&T really isn't going to need is the 240,000sf office tower in downtown W-S.

Also, BB&T has naming rights on seemingly half the playing fields in NC, which devalues their brand and the venue, imo.

The Winston-Salem-based bank has naming rights for the home venues of Wake Forest football, the Single-A Carolina League Winston-Salem Dash and the Triple-A Int'l League Charlotte Knights, as well as the under-construction ballpark for the Independent Atlantic League High Point Rockers. The bank also has rights to two recreational soccer facilities, and it recently "acquired the naming rights" to N.C. A&T's football stadium.
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/09/04/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/BBT.aspx

The original naming rights for Groves Stadium were for a 10-year deal announced in September 2007. I can't find anything talking about an extension or a renewal, but I assume BB&T renewed the deal in 2017 for another ten years (or maybe five), and may have other options in the future.

The thing BB&T really isn't going to need is the 240,000sf office tower in downtown W-S.

They will certainly need an upgrade to the Class B- shitbox they occupy in Charlotte now. Looks like Charlotte's getting another tower.

If they're smart, they'll bring some of the wholesale merger work to Charlotte. There's a crap ton of talent that is just a couple years removed from finishing up the Wachovia/Wells merger.

Also, BB&T has naming rights on seemingly half the playing fields in NC, which devalues their brand and the venue, imo.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/09/04/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/BBT.aspx

The original naming rights for Groves Stadium were for a 10-year deal announced in September 2007. I can't find anything talking about an extension or a renewal, but I assume BB&T renewed the deal in 2017 for another ten years (or maybe five), and may have other options in the future.

yeah I've never gotten this, especially with 2 in Winston-Salem, despite it being their HQ.

Bad news for WS indeed. Anyone know how many floors of the emerald tower BB&T occupies?

Yeah, I just posted something similar in the chat thread. I would imagine they stay in the BB&T Center for awhile since they have enough office space in other markets and consolidate over the next decade. The building is in major renovation mode this year and will be nicer upon completion, but there's not much they can do with the exterior. The building's got a good location though, connects to the Overstreet Mall, and has access to tons of parking. Any new tower would have a lesser location.

SunTrust Park will be re-named to whatever the new bank entity is ultimately called. I expect any BB&T named buildings will do the same.

Closing is supposed to be in 4th Quarter 2019.

Wholesale Banking will be located in Atlanta since SunTrust's Wholesale operation is considerably stronger than BB&T's. Community Banking will be in WS since the reverse is true for Consumer.

Corporate HQ and Innovation Center (Digital) will be in Charlotte.

Talk about glass half-full: “Also, I believe long term the number of jobs here will actually increase,” Joines said, basing his projection on how BB&T has doubled the number of workers in its former hometown of Wilson to more than 2,000 since moving to Winston-Salem in 1995. From W-S Journal.

Bad news for WS indeed. Anyone know how many floors of the emerald tower BB&T occupies?

Pretty much all of them. I'm not sure when they can get out of their lease. The building old just four years ago for a sky high price for the Triad. The press release says BB&T had a 23-year lease.

Interestingly, one of the co-owners of that building will be sentenced for 10 counts of mail fraud next month.

Back