• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New NC budget includes $15 state employee minimum wage!

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
http://www.courier-tribune.com/news...-15-minimum-wage-law-for-most-state-employees

"RALEIGH — The state budget that became law Tuesday contains at least one historic change. North Carolina will become the first state to guarantee a $15 minimum wage to most of its state employees.
About 9,000 state workers had been making less than $15 an hour but will now get a raise, according to Robert Broome, executive director of the main lobbying group for state workers, the State Employees Association of North Carolina.
The new minimum equates to $31,200 a year for a full-time employee..."

-Doesn't apply to bus drivers, teachers assistants, and community college employees(?)

About 9,000 state workers had been making less than $15 an hour but will now get a raise...

...The new minimum wage applies to most jobs in state agencies and the UNC System. But it excludes temporary workers, even those who work full-time. It also won’t apply to any public school or community college employees who currently make less than $15 an hour....

Broome said the main group that’s left out are public school bus drivers, teaching assistants and custodians. Many of them make around $12 an hour, and by Broome’s count, there are about 45,000 of them in North Carolina.

Well, I guess it’s progress.

Still, most state employees presently making less than 15/hr are not included.

i saw this a couple days ago. My first thought was "they're going to package this with some kind of crazy anti-abortion, pro-gun, or take-power-away-from-the-governor BS to make Cooper veto it so they can run ads against him in November". Still waiting on that other shoe to drop, because that's how the NCGA rolls.

i saw this a couple days ago. My first thought was "they're going to package this with some kind of crazy anti-abortion, pro-gun, or take-power-away-from-the-governor BS to make Cooper veto it so they can run ads against him in November". Still waiting on that other shoe to drop, because that's how the NCGA rolls.

He already vetoed it as part of the state budget, which was then overturned. The article is from June.

He already vetoed it as part of the state budget, which was then overturned. The article is from June.

There is something new going on, there was a front page story about it 2 days ago. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-carolina-acts-deep-blue-in-passing-state-worker-minimum-wage-hike/ Maybe they are just reporting on the actual paychecks going up after the veto was overturned? I dunno. The article makes it seems like something just happened but maybe just sloppy writing.

There were roughly 54,000 employees making less than $15 an hour. Congratulations to those 17% getting raises.

Excludes educators. Why is that not surprising... There are teacher's assistants making less than $15/hr? Facepalm

There were roughly 54,000 employees making less than $15 an hour. Congratulations to those 17% getting raises.

This is just election year fodder. They'll brag to their base that they provided "a major pay increase for state employees", and conveniently leave out that it will actually affect less than one-fifth of state employees. They're betting their rube base won't bother to check the facts, but will simply go around on facebook and other social media bragging about how the NC GOP is really helping teachers, teacher's assistants, and other state employees who in reality aren't benefiting at all from this move.

This is just election year fodder. They'll brag to their base that they provided "a major pay increase for state employees", and conveniently leave out that it will actually affect less than one-fifth of state employees. They're betting their rube base won't bother to check the facts, but will simply go around on facebook and other social media bragging about how the NC GOP is really helping teachers, teacher's assistants, and other state employees who in reality aren't benefiting at all from this move.

They got MDMH.

Back