• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New president of the Southern Baptist Convention?

In the Old Testament, David refuses to defile himself by drinking the king's wine. That's not moderation- that's abstention. And that is what all Christians should follow. Many times, the pro-alcohol pundits in various iterations of the SBC will respond with the New Testament story of Jesus at the wedding in Cana. However there is some disagreement among scholars as to how accurate the translations and interpretations are as to whether Jesus actually turned the water into what we know as wine. For my peace of mind, I cannot believe that Jesus, imbued with the power of God, would convert water into something that steals men's minds and souls and precipitates sinful thoughts and acts. If sin begins in the mind, I can't believe that Jesus would create something that we all know, as sinners, can loosen inhibitions and cause us to cast aside Jesus' teachings and make his voice in our souls somewhat harder to hear.

If I compiled a short list of the last posters that I would expect this post to be from, you would be on it.

In the Old Testament, David refuses to defile himself by drinking the king's wine. That's not moderation- that's abstention. And that is what all Christians should follow. Many times, the pro-alcohol pundits in various iterations of the SBC will respond with the New Testament story of Jesus at the wedding in Cana. However there is some disagreement among scholars as to how accurate the translations and interpretations are as to whether Jesus actually turned the water into what we know as wine. For my peace of mind, I cannot believe that Jesus, imbued with the power of God, would convert water into something that steals men's minds and souls and precipitates sinful thoughts and acts. If sin begins in the mind, I can't believe that Jesus would create something that we all know, as sinners, can loosen inhibitions and cause us to cast aside Jesus' teachings and make his voice in our souls somewhat harder to hear.

It has been a very long time since I took Greek (and even then I half paid attention) and just as long since I took New Testament Studies but from what I remember (and it was a secular study) there is very little disagreement among scholars who are not looking for peace of mind. Besides, the story does not make sense if it is non-alcoholic wine. Why the hell would people be congratulating the Bridegroom on serving the best wine last? If it were non-alcoholic wine it would not matter because people would be just as sharp to taste good wine and the end of the night as they would at the beginning.

Also, do you obey other kosher laws outlined in the OT?

It is entirely possible that the wine was unfermented and simply flavored. Also, it could have been lightly fermented and thus contained only a very small amount of alcohol. Again, how "wine" was construed in this context is what's important. When Jesus spoke of sharing his body at the last supper, he wasn't actually advocating cannibalism. Allegorical or metaphorical meanings sometimes don't survive multiple translations between 3 or 4 different languages.

As there is no harm, in terms of social behaviors, to eating or not eating kosher, there is not the kind of risk in not observing that dogma as there is with something as dangerous as alcohol.

It is entirely possible that the wine was unfermented and simply flavored. Also, it could have been lightly fermented and thus contained only a very small amount of alcohol. Again, how "wine" was construed in this context is what's important. When Jesus spoke of sharing his body at the last supper, he wasn't actually advocating cannibalism. Allegorical or metaphorical meanings sometimes don't survive multiple translations between 3 or 4 different languages.

As there is no harm, in terms of social behaviors, to eating or not eating kosher, there is not the kind of risk in not observing that dogma as there is with something as dangerous as alcohol.

But the very meaning of that story hinges on the wine being fermented. Again, the story ends with the guests congratulating the Bridegroom on saving the best wine for last and that relating to Jesus being the best wine. Why would they do that if it were just flavored wine? In fact, if it were not fermented you would expect the best last because there would be nothing keeping the guests from enjoying it just as much as the beginning of the night. (John 2:10 "Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now")

There are many social laws in the Torah that Orthodox Jewish people follow. They absolutely believe that not following those laws poses as much of a risk as not abstaining from alcohol.

Back