• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Wake Forest President — Dr Susan Wente

I think my company is 6 months into that plan outlined above. Tweak a few words and you got it. Almost scary how close it is.

I’d love for her to address affordability. How about working hard to make a wake forest education affordable.

This wake forester doesn’t want to send his son to Deactown at 70k a year.

I have been pretty impressed with wakes movement on stem and engineering. Pretty novel approach. A ways to go but looks very promising.

I second Brews’s motion of getting rid of Wake Foresters. I had a former speechwriter for hatch tell me she was told that Demon Deacons was only a nickname for athletics and student athletics and that was about the stupidest thing I ever heard on that campus. That’s just patently untrue and commonplace at every other school I’m aware of. Wellman had a similar opinion on using “Wake” instead of “Wake Forest” on scoreboards, uniforms, etc.

On the ticker ESPN almost always refers to us as Wake, even when there’s room for Forest. I’ve always thought of it as the opposite of LOWF, as they’re assuming everyone knows who we are by that nickname. But they don’t do that with many schools.

I had a former speechwriter for hatch tell me she was told that Demon Deacons was only a nickname for athletics and student athletics and that was about the stupidest thing I ever heard on that campus.

My God.

This stuck out to me too. She was the acting chancellor of Vanderbilt, but they decided not to give her the full-time position. Have to think they know her better than we do...

Meh. Sometimes universities are committed to making outside hires. She may not have had any chance. They hired the provost of University of Chicago.

It doesn’t seem like we aimed very high on this hire when we wound up with the provost from Vandy after hiring the provost of Notre Dame last time. I thought we were trying to get better rather than tread water.

It doesn’t seem like we aimed very high on this hire when we wound up with the provost from Vandy after hiring the provost of Notre Dame last time. I thought we were trying to get better rather than tread water.

What background would your ideal candidate have?

Are you making this point?

The dean of a large college would definitely be a strong internal candidate. But typically the Provost would be an even stronger internal candidate. Seems like Wake would be in the market for a Provost from an Ivy/Stanford/Duke tier institution though.

If that's your point, Vandy is ranked higher than Notre Dame although not as high as most of the Ivies, Stanford, and Duke. But that reflects where Wake is in the hierarchy. Elite private school hires high level administrators from elite private schools.

Wake hired Vandy's provost. Vandy hired University of Chicago's provost. University of Chicago's provost was Brown's provost. Brown's president was a dean at Princeton. So forth and so on.

Dr. Wente appears to be an excellent choice. Wishing her all the success leading Wake to the next level.

Curious as to how her last name is pronounce? Went, Went-ee?

I'm curious about the pronunciation of her surname. German/Dutch names like "Haas" have always given me trouble.

Back