• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

News coverage of Obamacare vs. Phillipines Typhoon

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-major-news-networks-covered-obamacare-2013-11

large-19.png

Pretty much states what we all know. Fox News and MSNBC are only interested in political hackery. CNN is about the best option we have. Slightly left leaning decent news source. I have never watched Al Jazeera so I cannot comment.

Doesn't seem fair to lump FOXNews and MSNBC together on that chart. FOX spent over 2.5 times more airtime on Obamacare than MSNBC. That's a much higher level of hackery.

Also I don't think FOX or MSNBC cover much international news at all compared to CNN. They don't devote the resources.

Pretty much states what we all know. Fox News and MSNBC are only interested in political hackery. CNN is about the best option we have. Slightly left leaning decent news source. I have never watched Al Jazeera so I cannot comment.

Excellent analysis.

Doesn't seem fair to lump FOXNews and MSNBC together on that chart. FOX spent over 2.5 times more airtime on Obamacare than MSNBC. That's a much higher level of hackery.

Also I don't think FOX or MSNBC cover much international news at all compared to CNN. They don't devote the resources.

Ms nbc also has about 3 hours unaccounted for on that chart. I think I could make an educated guess that the time was spent either fluffing a democrat or condemning some tea party tactic. There is absolutely no difference between the two. Both sources are only interested in appealing to to the extremes of their base in order to make cash hand over fist.

Ms nbc also has about 3 hours unaccounted for on that chart. I think I could make an educated guess that the time was spent either fluffing a democrat or condemning some tea party tactic. There is absolutely no difference between the two. Both sources are only interested in appealing to to the extremes of their base in order to make cash hand over fist.

You serious, Clark?

Wrangor is correct. Read the link. Those meters do not all add up to the same number and they are just part of what was talked about in the hours measured.

CNN has a worldwide audience. That makes sense.

Al Jazeera has a large US audience of people Middle Eastern heritage. They are also more of a world news station.

MSNBC showed a little over 5 minutes/hour about the Philippines to their 100% US audience. That seems a little low but reasonable.

Faux News did the equivalent one segment about the typhoon in an eight hour period to their 100% US audience. What's astonishing is that they gave 7:52 to ACA out of 8:00. That's unfathomable and shows a concerted effort to brainwash their audience.

This breakdown shows why Faux News simply parrot everything they are told to say. It's all they hear.

Guys read under the pictures: out of 20 hours of coverage. Still doesn't change the overall point though

That's even worse for Faux News. It shows they did basically one story in an twenty hour period about the typhoon. Of all the news in the US and the world, they 40% of their time attacking ACA. That's outrageous.

Not really sure what the big deal is here. Americans care more about Obamacare than they do about people in the Philippines. Why wouldn't news networks devote more time to things that people care more about?

It definitely lumps those two together. The reason they are lumped together is that their formats are driven by opinion based shows - not news shows. CNN has a couple of these shrill opinion shows too - Piers Morgan leaps to mind (brutally bad).

It would make sense that MSNBC would show less about Obamacare than Fox. Obamacare is a horrible story for the Dems. So the time they spend on it will be dedicated to trying to create a sabotage storyline or a line on how it isn't as bad as it appears, etc. Fox? They'll be in full pile on mode. Pick a story that makes the Pubs look horrible and you can bet those numbers would skew on up at MSNBC and down at Fox. You can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
Not really sure what the big deal is here. Americans care more about Obamacare than they do about people in the Philippines. Why wouldn't news networks devote more time to things that people care more about?

Absolutely correct!!! Obamacare will impact most Americans markedly more than a typhoon in the Philippines. This in no way negates the devastation causing by the typhoon but rather reflects the coming reality of the important changes in healthcare for Americans.

As an aside, Fox News ratings are higher than CNN and MSNBC combined. Perhaps more Americans are interested in the type of news presented by Fox News and in the actual manner in which it is presented.

Last edited:
I mean, more Americans would rather eat hamburgers every day. That doesn't mean it's healthy.

Back