• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next year’s football team

Louisville and Army just sitting there taking notes.

I'm the opposite. If Wake is relying on a freshman to get the job done, then I'm worried. If we're lining up on the track to run the 4x100, give me Claiborne all day. To win a P5 football game, we may need a guy over 185lbs at running back. Dude will probably be a stud, but I'll be surprised if he is in line to start as a freshman.

Same with Grimes. Dez Williams, Horatio Fields and Christian Greene have had a year of D1 weightlifting and nutrition, plus a year with the WR whisperer in Coach Higgins. Grimes put up video game numbers in high school, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the R-Freshmen are ahead of him.

I don't think you would get much disagreement -- I think the point is that if Claiborne can come in and beat out the incumbents despite those disadvantages, it would be a great sign for our RB play next year (which I think is an area of potential improvement)

WF plays multiple RBs. So, Claiborne just has to make the top 3 to play. That said, WF is loaded at that spot. Love Ellison. Barring injury, don't see Claiborne moving ahead of Ellison on the depth chart.

I don't think you would get much disagreement -- I think the point is that if Claiborne can come in and beat out the incumbents despite those disadvantages, it would be a great sign for our RB play next year (which I think is an area of potential improvement)

Thanks, this is largely what I was trying to say. I don’t expect Claiborne to be #1 on the depth chart, but if he’s not we have a couple of guys that are serviceable. Not bad but average to slightly below average for the ACC at the position. If a freshman beats them out somehow, it could mean we have something better than average, maybe even very good (something that opposing teams have to game plan for so they can’t just tee off on Hartman and the RPO) at the position. That’s why I’m hoping for that even if I don’t expect that to be the case at the start.

I'm impressed with Cooley, what little we saw, and think he may surprise some people.

I like what I've seen with Cooley as well. Runs with attitude and a willingness to punish.

i 4th these comments. The guy is made for this offense. Runs low and with speed and power. he could bust out. i am excited by all of our running backs (and of course our QB and Wrs). Need the line to gel with Tom going pro and the sky is the limit for this O (not the roof is the ceiling).

Replacing Roberson with Greene, and with Morin adding another year of experience, add in Grimes, and taking away a senior RB who got a couple goal line TDs.

Does Hartman break 50 TDs this year combined rushing/throwing?

If that is too simple, does he break 50 throwing alone?

Roberson was a slot. Will be replaced by Morin and Williams. Greene will play wideout as before.

From one position with depth to another position with depth.

we have a lot of players who play qb and rb. depending on your definition, i think you could argue it's uncertain we have depth at either.

not counting on it, but maybe marucci will be a revelation at rb and be a key contributor as discussed above with claiborne as it's a position that is ripe for upgrade, imo.

we have a lot of players who play qb and rb. depending on your definition, i think you could argue it's uncertain we have depth at either.

not counting on it, but maybe marucci will be a revelation at rb and be a key contributor as discussed above with claiborne as it's a position that is ripe for upgrade, imo.

Lol. Didn’t we just go 11-2? We have good RBs.

Interesting that it wasn't Kelly or Edwards who got moved. I actually thought Marucci was our #4 option.

Marucci’s dad was an RB at Miami, so at least there’s some pedigree there. He ran a 4.79 40 in high school so there are questions about speed for sure (he was recruited as pro-style QB).

Didnt have a scholarship...not an RB spot. Marucci already is on ship.

Back