• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

A P5 starter who was contributor on his previous team.
I would love to get some of those, but I think it's probably more realistic to maybe get a few G5 starters that were contributors. It's just such a different time for college football. I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about how the big boys don't put as much stock in recruiting the 5 star QB or other positions because they figure they can get the guys that have shown somewhere else for a year to 2 that they are really good at the college level.

I'll take all the All-conference FCS guys that want to come. Kobie Turner, Jacob Roberts types. Mustapha in a similar mold.

Just given our own returns, I'd stay away from D3 for sure, and probably stay away from D2 players as well.

Decent FBS starters that would cost a lot in NIL and likely just be decent here as well -- that's trickier.

I would love to get some of those, but I think it's probably more realistic to maybe get a few G5 starters that were contributors. It's just such a different time for college football. I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about how the big boys don't put as much stock in recruiting the 5 star QB or other positions because they figure they can get the guys that have shown somewhere else for a year to 2 that they are really good at the college level.
Which concerns me even more for Wake. Hope we don't become a farm team.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

So, I'm curious just who you think these "big splash" commits could be? Do you really think we are going to get any "big splash" commits as far as big or even semi known names, with all the competition in the portal and NIL? The best guys we've gotten through the portal and transfer have been guys that weren't a big splash when we signed them. Heck, the receiver from Tennessee Merrill, was probably a lot more known than most of our transfers and he couldn't even get on the field this year. Kobie Turner was an FCS transfer, how big a splash was he when he was signed? One of our best players on defense this past season was a transfer from NC A&T, don't know that he was a big splash as far as name go, but he sure could play. If by "big splash" you mean a "name" from a power 5 or good group of 5 team, then I hope you're not holding your breath. If we get a player from a P5 or even from some G5's, it's probably going to be somebody that either struggled there and we're hoping they can turn it around (see QB commit) or a player that hasn't seen the field much because they're playing behind better players and we hope they've got potential and just need a chance to show it. There are good players at all levels of college football, seems like every year during the senior all-star games there is at least one D2 or even D3 player that stands out when they get out there with the FBS players. For us, I think it's a matter of finding the right ones and getting them.
I would hope so, yes. We've been led to believe that we're in a decent spot NIL wise and have plenty of easy paths to starting positions.

However, since we've already lost one WR to State and appear to potentially be losing another to WVU, I'm certainly concerned. Those would be 2 of our peer level schools I'd hope we could compete with in the portal.

How many people who fit that description are in the transfer portal in the first place?
Well the According to the On3 rankings, (https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/industry/football/2024/) the #150 transfer is a guy who started every game at guard for Tennesse. #218 was a safety on Kansas State who had 30 tackles and 3 Ints. So I am guessing more than a 100 of the 1200 guys currently in the portal, potentially 200 over the course of the transfer season.

Hence it being considered a big splash or a major win.

I would hope so, yes. We've been led to believe that we're in a decent spot NIL wise and have plenty of easy paths to starting positions.

However, since we've already lost one WR to State and appear to potentially be losing another to WVU, I'm certainly concerned. Those would be 2 of our peer level schools I'd hope we could compete with in the portal.
Banks to WVU is weird. I doubt they gave him some kind of crazy $$.

Their leading receiver in receptions was their TE with 33. None of their WRs cracked 30, and they are a run-heavy offense. Enjoy getting 40 targets next season and blocking downfield.

One of the rare instances where I'd agree with trying to go pro if there wasn't that much portal interest. Or just come back to Wake, be the WR1, get some money, and then move on. Not go catch 30 balls in Morgantown.

For those fixated on landing transfers from a Power V program, Penn State just landed an OL transfer from Shorter College (a D2 school in GA). He is expected to start for the Nitany Lions next season. There are good players everywhere.

Which concerns me even more for Wake. Hope we don't become a farm team.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
I know, it's like Helenski, yeah I hope he comes in and knocks it out of the park in probably 2 years, but then what are the odds of keeping him if he does? That is what I can't stand about all this, do players deserve more than just the scholarship given all the money the school and coaches make, sure. However, there has got to be much better and fairer ways to do it. A staff that goes out and recruits a kid really hard, gets him to come, the player should have more incentive to stay there. Whether we go back to losing a year of eligibility or NIL caps or player contracts I don't know, but something needs to change. Probably won't however, because as has been mentioned by others on this board, the cat is out of the bag and programs that basically run college football and benefit the most from the current system, sure don't want it changed.

Makes it hard to sell the offensive genius of our system when it fell apart once one man is gone, whether that is a totally fair assessment or not.

Clawson has a tough turnaround job on his hands, and we already have a worse offense on paper than last season.

Makes it hard to sell the offensive genius of our system when it fell apart once one man is gone, whether that is a totally fair assessment or not.

Clawson has a tough turnaround job on his hands, and we already have a worse offense on paper than last season.
Yeah, it was certainly more than just Mitch Giffis, the Oline and even the receivers at times weren't making plays they made in the past.

For those fixated on landing transfers from a Power V program, Penn State just landed an OL transfer from Shorter College (a D2 school in GA). He is expected to start for the Nitany Lions next season. There are good players everywhere.

the lines are blurry, but there are p5 transfers who are looking for a big payday / upgrade and some p5 transfers who are probably mostly looking to play more. we've gotten a ton of the latter but those dudes have not been super productive. not sure how realistic getting guys in the first bucket is.

from the last 5 years. FBS has been the most productive by far followed by g5, imo.

P5 Transfers
  • terrence davis (prob our highest ranked guy)
  • donald stewart
  • jack crane
  • kj trujlio
  • luiji vilain
  • christian turner
  • brendon harris
  • walker merrill

G5
  • miles fox
  • chelen garnes
  • kevin pointer
  • eldrick robinson
  • jaeger bull

FCS
  • isaiah wingfield
  • malik mustapha
  • kobie turner
  • jacob roberts
  • bryce ganious

D2/D3
  • jermal martin
  • demarcus rankin
  • nick helbig

Last edited:
I don't give a damn where they come from as long as they're good. I trust the staff's evaluation (we've been turning 2-3 stars into legit P5 starters for over a decade), and our best bets have come from the FCS division.

Don't win signing day, win games.

It's totally understandable why guys who can ball at the FCS level are more of a sure thing than a Power 5 guy who doesn't see the field.

It's totally understandable why guys who can ball at the FCS level are more of a sure thing than a Power 5 guy who doesn't see the field.
I agree, but I don't think we have ever gotten a P5 guy that was a consistent starter in the portal era. Stewart's most catches in a season at Stanford were 11. Turner only had 44 carries the season before arriving at Wake and Vilain only had 11 tackles in his career before arriving at Wake.

Now we have given other teams a couple, that's for sure, but I don't know if we have ever brought one in.

we're also still pretty tight on scholarships. if greene returns but the rest of the senior day guys don't (elmonus, chaney, ranson, jones), we'd only have one extra scholly to work with for next year.

definitely don't think we are done having guys leave, but last year, only jj roberts, bothroyd and hartman entered the portal after 12/12. nobody left in the spring except bernard gooden who was kicked off the team.

we're also still pretty tight on scholarships. if greene returns but the rest of the senior day guys don't (elmonus, chaney, ranson, jones), we'd only have one extra scholly to work with for next year.

definitely don't think we are done having guys leave, but last year, only jj roberts, bothroyd and hartman entered the portal after 12/12. nobody left in the spring except bernard gooden who was kicked off the team.
Which is why I find it interesting that we have offered Antonio Meeks, WR from Tuskegee. If we are so tight, shouldn't we be pushing more for linemen? Unless, there will be more defections.

Which is why I find it interesting that we have offered Antonio Meeks, WR from Tuskegee. If we are so tight, shouldn't we be pushing more for linemen? Unless, there will be more defections.
Defections? Is this the Cold War now?

Even though WF has 85 players either still in the program with eligibility or class of 24 recruits:

• WF will likely gray-shirt a couple of its incoming class of 24 recruits.
  • There are likely players in the program with eligibility left because of COVID, that will graduate and will not enter the transfer portal because they aren't playing football again
  • Yes, there may be others that do enter the transfer portal, either before January 2nd or in April after Spring practice. Would call these WF students "defectors"/

So, WF still has room to add some transfers.

I don't give a damn where they come from as long as they're good. I trust the staff's evaluation (we've been turning 2-3 stars into legit P5 starters for over a decade), and our best bets have come from the FCS division.

Don't win signing day, win games.

Respectfully I’d disagree. We haven’t won enough games to say this old-school strategy works.

We’ve always “lost” signing day. Agreed, our staff has done pretty well finding and developing hidden talent. But NIL offers us a new path to acquire talent. It could arguably level the recruiting playing field if we do it right.

So yes, I think we need some big splashes. I think it should be a priority to try to win (portal) signing day.

Back