• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker |

Would like to hear from a player who has been in the portal what the process is like. Did they get recruited prior to entering, did they enter immediately, what were the NIL conversations like, etc.

Feel like some general familiarity with the process would help me understand the process better.

Defections? Is this the Cold War now?

Even though WF has 85 players either still in the program with eligibility or class of 24 recruits:

• WF will likely gray-shirt a couple of its incoming class of 24 recruits.
  • There are likely players in the program with eligibility left because of COVID, that will graduate and will not enter the transfer portal because they aren't playing football again
  • Yes, there may be others that do enter the transfer portal, either before January 2nd or in April after Spring practice. Would call these WF students "defectors"/

So, WF still has room to add some transfers.
Has Clawson ever gray shirted a recruit?

And yes, a player going from Wake to NC State is a defector.

People need to remember that the extra year of eligibility granted due to COVID is also making things extra tight across all of college football. There are going to be a lot of players who enter the portal and then don't have anywhere to go because of the number of freshmen who are joining the ranks - reverting back to the norm of five years to compete in four is affecting everybody's roster construction.

I think Clawson did several years ago but it's been awhile.

Yes, Clawson has had gray shirts. Think Billy Edwards might have been a gray-shirt.

Respectfully I’d disagree. We haven’t won enough games to say this old-school strategy works.

We’ve always “lost” signing day. Agreed, our staff has done pretty well finding and developing hidden talent. But NIL offers us a new path to acquire talent. It could arguably level the recruiting playing field if we do it right.

So yes, I think we need some big splashes. I think it should be a priority to try to win (portal) signing day.
It also, arguable and I am on this side, could make the playing field even more skewed against us. Not sure how one can think the bigger programs, with better tradition, as good or better facilities and better fan support, wouldn't get even more of an advantage with NIL because they also have deeper pocket books???

Last edited:
Yes, Clawson has had gray shirts. Think Billy Edwards might have been a gray-shirt.
No not Edwards but maybe someone else. In any case, I don't think it is a likely avenue given how rare it has been used by this staff. Looking at other potential players who may disaffiliate (better?) I don't see them coming from areas of depth for us. I think its going to continue to be tight.

Does anyone think we pull in more than 2 additional transfers?

quick search indicates devonte gordon and tayvon bowers have been the two grayshirts, both due to season ending injuries that would have kept them out of practicing in the fall. (not sure if they were due to scholarship crunch or just getting an additional year of eligibility).

but definitely not common for us, and i know clawson has gone on record several times talking about how he doesn't oversign and it's a competitive disadvantage.

I don't see greyshirting as feasible in this era. Do greyshirts get NIL? They'd be more valuable transfers down the road.

I think once COVID years are off the table, even Wake will be hesitant to redshirt for fear of losing grad transfers. I could see Clawson making sure all the freshmen get some playing time in one of the first three games then using that to determine who plays more than 3 more games to burn their redshirt.

If depth is the problem in late Oct/November, maybe giving more true freshmen a half season of experience is part of the solution.

Would like to hear from a player who has been in the portal what the process is like. Did they get recruited prior to entering, did they enter immediately, what were the NIL conversations like, etc.

Feel like some general familiarity with the process would help me understand the process better.
Depends on the player, but you can feel very confident that back door conversations are taking place prior to a kid entering the portal. A kid doesn't enter the portal and then commit to another team within 2 days without it.
So if you recall when Corona entered the portal he had a "recruiting agency" that he worked with. These recruiting advisors are having conversations with all the programs and hypothetical conversations are taking place. "Hey i know you have some PT available for a WR. IF there were an ACC caliber player looking to move would you be interested". And vice versa...

Is this a good thread to say how much I hate the current nil landscape in college sports? This is a damn free for all. It's pro sports without a salary cap or contracts. Total insanity

It's why the NCAA is already looking at what essentially would be pro divisions and amateur divisions.

Back