• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

NIL is capitalism. The deeper pockets win the best players.

Many of the naysayers when it comes to NIL, tend to be capitalists in their own lives, which makes it ironic.

It sucks to lose out when it comes to a dollar figure, but tell that to the rest of the world who loses out based on a dollar figure in every day life.
I don't really see the capitalism analogy in NIL.

In Capitalism, the middle and lower class is not directly competing with billionaires and in most examples, those lower classes have elevated living standards due to the system. So what if Elon or Mark make another billion this year if my middle class life is pretty damn good? By and large today lower classes have a living standard that would seem like heaven compared to living standards even 60 yrs ago.

However, in NIL, the lower "classes" are directly competing with "billionaires" which makes sense then in the spirit of competition to have regulations restricted unfettered and uncontrolled NIL actions.

Heard on a sports talk show that over 500 players from last year never found a new landing spot. I think the market will take care of some of the portal issues as more and more guys are left out with no NIL deal and no scholarship to boot.
I believe the number, I'm just not sure its a problem of the system. Again, looking at the Wake transfers, I don't know that Kelly or Hoilman would care. They didn't have scholarships to lose and have already graduated. I'm sure they're putting out feelers to see if they can get grad school paid for, but not sure its a tragedy if they don't get it.

And then, some guys are just done with football. I knew a bunch of Wake players while I were there that were pretty burnt out and ready to be done after 3-4 years. I could see that for Forbes, maybe Harris. Maybe you put your name in the portal, see what hits, and then decide you'd rather not play at the level or schools available to you.

I'm sure there are tragic cases of players miscalculating their value or losing out on the musical chairs game, I just don't think 500 is near the true amount.

Also, we've heard that Wake honors your scholarship as a four year commitment. But after that, if you still have eligibility, whether or not you continue on scholarship is up to the coaches. This likely applies to guys like Ranson and Elmonus this offseason. These guys aren't risking their scholarships in the portal -- they don't have one.

NIL is capitalism. The deeper pockets win the best players.

Many of the naysayers when it comes to NIL, tend to be capitalists in their own lives, which makes it ironic.

It sucks to lose out when it comes to a dollar figure, but tell that to the rest of the world who loses out based on a dollar figure in every day life.

This is a profoundly simplistic view. Sports (at least amateur sports) has an implied element of fairness. A reasonably level playing field. It's different than Ford vs GM where market forces create incentives, balance, etc. This NIL deal- and certainly the one just proposed by the NCAA (whereby schools can spend as much as they want, pay athletes directly, perhaps eliminate scholarship limits, etc.) will not only remove that fairness, it appears designed to create something that looks like sports, but is really about who has and will spend the most money to, in effect, purchase the best team- buy a title. Not only is that not, in the purest sense, sports, it creates a Globetrotters/Washington Generals dynamic, whereby those schools with the most deployable cash will, over time, have much better teams. Maybe 15-20 teams will be in the Globetrotter bucket, and the rest in the Washington Generals bucket. Maybe it's entertainment, but it's not sports.

I'm happy for those who are excited to watch these performances and enjoy knowing that these players have more money (I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or so years from now there will be a graphic at the bottom of the screen showing how much NIL money the player gets). Again, I'm happy for anyone to get money. But I have zero interest in watching it.

True college sports is dying. It's, perhaps inevitably, being replaced by something very different. I mourn that, and cannot understand how anyone thinks college sports FANS in general- and WFU sports FANS in particular- aren't going to suffer as a result.

I don't really see the capitalism analogy in NIL.

In Capitalism, the middle and lower class is not directly competing with billionaires and in most examples, those lower classes have elevated living standards due to the system. So what if Elon or Mark make another billion this year if my middle class life is pretty damn good? By and large today lower classes have a living standard that would seem like heaven compared to living standards even 60 yrs ago.

However, in NIL, the lower "classes" are directly competing with "billionaires" which makes sense then in the spirit of competition to have regulations restricted unfettered and uncontrolled NIL actions.
Schools are not workers - the schools are corporations and the players are the workers. In this case, Alabama would be an Amazon and Wake would be a local bookstore chain - they both provide the same service (creating football games) and draw from the same labor pool (players, coaches, athletic directors, etc) and are therefore in direct competition even if their scope is radically different. NIL, boosters, etc are therefore the capitalist who own and run the corporations and whose capital is used to pay the workers.

True college sports is dying. It's, perhaps inevitably, being replaced by something very different. I mourn that, and cannot understand how anyone thinks college sports FANS in general- and WFU sports FANS in particular- aren't going to suffer as a result.
I mean, it's each person's decisions whether to mourn the past or to try to find something about the future that is enjoyable. Yes it's going to be a lot different. That doesn't mean we have to choose to suffer. I'm pretty damn happy about the transfer rules that got us Boopie, Hunter Sallis, Efton Reid, and Andrew Carr. That couldn't have happened 20 years ago. But I'm excited as hell to watch those guys play for the Deacs.

Heard on a sports talk show that over 500 players from last year never found a new landing spot. I think the market will take care of some of the portal issues as more and more guys are left out with no NIL deal and no scholarship to boot.
I also have to figure the lack-of-spots issue will lessen after the Covid cohort runs out of eligibility

Also, we've heard that Wake honors your scholarship as a four year commitment. But after that, if you still have eligibility, whether or not you continue on scholarship is up to the coaches. This likely applies to guys like Ranson and Elmonus this offseason. These guys aren't risking their scholarships in the portal -- they don't have one.

Yeah when I was at Wake in mid 2000’s- that was the case. You go 4 years- then you were “asked back” for 5th year senior year, finished your hours that fall, and walked the following May. If you were a benchwarmer, it was pretty clear you were going to be asked to move on. Most guys portaling fit that mold. I personally have no issue if guy portals after 4 years in program for NIL or PT. In this new era, it’s not gonna be a badge of honor to have guys in their 5th and 6th year in the program- what that really means is that they weren’t good enough to cash in on NFL or NIL.

If a guy leaves before that, we’re gonna win some and lose some- every program deals with this now. Considering we just went 4-8, have had our coach admit we’ve lost our way, and are constantly the talk of getting left out of the pending super conference, I’d say we’re having an outstanding offseason.

I’d be pretty happy with 8-4 most seasons.
So would I. Definitely. But wake isnt touting top 15 recruiting classes and heisman hopeful qbs every couple years. If mack was in the sec he would have been put out to pasture long ago. As far as living up to expectations, mack is a failure.

So would I. Definitely. But wake isnt touting top 15 recruiting classes and heisman hopeful qbs every couple years. If mack was in the sec he would have been put out to pasture long ago. As far as living up to expectations, mack is a failure.
I expected Mack to be a failure, he's a figure head coach, how many times does that work out. When Bobby Bowden reached that point, FSU's decline started. When Paterno reached that point, Penn State started falling off. A head coach that is just there to smile, wave and do the media stuff, but isn't really active in actual coaching rarely works out too well.

I expected Mack to be a failure, he's a figure head coach, how many times does that work out. When Bobby Bowden reached that point, FSU's decline started. When Paterno reached that point, Penn State started falling off. A head coach that is just there to smile, wave and do the media stuff, but isn't really active in actual coaching rarely works out too well.
Beamer too

Back