• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Year's FB Team + Scholarship Tracker | Spring Transfer Portal Open

Yes this is true. I‘m a huge DC fan but he can be less than warm, and has a high degree of certainty. I think that this has been a humbling for him. We are all still learning. He has the capacity to use this as a launch pad.

This portal thing is out of control, but far from clear how it affects us, I was certain it was going to be disastrous, but now I don’t know. Someone posted about Sabin hating the new system bc he can’t stockpile talent With handcuffs. Dave Odom on recruiting told me in competing against the big guys, “ they can’t have them all”

There is a lot of talent out there. Outside of the super elite DLine athletes, OLine is more a developmental and mental position. QB is the most important position and was a complete failure. Plenty of guys out there could have led us to 8 wins this year. A complete screw up by our staff.

look how much better we are on D now with the improved LB play and surprising consistently on the DLine.
Humbling and uncharted territory right? In his career he’s taken over dumpster fires, turned things around and moved on, this is first time he’s stayed anywhere long enough to have real stinker of a season after he had turned things around.

Clawson has ten years as the Wake Forest coach. That's twice as long as any previous stint. He builds a program, wins, then moves on to a better job. This is new territory. He's not a fresh face with new ideas. He's the coach that led a program to seven straight bowl games then got blindsided when his next great QB could not cut it when the lights turned on and Dave had no Plan B. Combine that with a completely new way of doing business he does not like. This team isn't going to fill a few holes and return to relevance. This will be a major rebuild that could take a season or two. He deserves the opportunity. I just hope he is up to it.

I am afraid the season and the lack of quarterback play we had influenced many these portal moves.

And a good number of posters on here were "screaming" this about game #5. I don't understand why this potential train wreck was not more apparent to the staff. But, it is what it is. Let's just hope we bring in talent.

Yeah, as someone mentioned above, it was clear to the most casual fan that Mitch wasn't the answer after the Elon game. He looked lost against an FCS team. Our defensive heroics won the ODU game. Mitch had nothing to do with it.

Then the GT game. Woof...

In no profession should anyone be given that long of a rope. College football is a billion dollar industry and our coaches treated it like JV Football.

I'm still dead set that Mitch and his family were promised some sort of something in terms of games played. Maybe Clawson promised them a season to prove himself and grow, and it just grossly backfired.

Yeah, as someone mentioned above, it was clear to the most casual fan that Mitch wasn't the answer after the Elon game. He looked lost against an FCS team. Our defensive heroics won the ODU game. Mitch had nothing to do with it.

Then the GT game. Woof...

In no profession should anyone be given that long of a rope. College football is a billion dollar industry and our coaches treated it like JV Football.

I'm still dead set that Mitch and his family were promised some sort of something in terms of games played. Maybe Clawson promised them a season to prove himself and grow, and it just grossly backfired.
I’m not excusing what happened here in the least, but these type of things are going to happen with the NIL deals, just like NFL contracts. There will be occasions when the player just doesn’t work out and you’ve made a bad investment. This would seem an extreme case, but it will happen, talking in general throughout college football.

I’m not excusing what happened here in the least, but these type of things are going to happen with the NIL deals, just like NFL contracts. There will be occasions when the player just doesn’t work out and you’ve made a bad investment. This would seem an extreme case, but it will happen, talking in general throughout college football.

A) I don’t think sticking with Mitch had anything to do with NIL

B) I don’t chalk this up to “win some / lose some.” Some QBs are definitely not going to work out, but the ability of the coach to recognize and rectify quickly is one difference… of many… separating a Wake Forest from an Alabama.

You’re right to say it was an extreme case. It didn’t happen anywhere else in college football.

A) I don’t think sticking with Mitch had anything to do with NIL

B) I don’t chalk this up to “win some / lose some.” Some QBs are definitely not going to work out, but the ability of the coach to recognize and rectify quickly is one difference… of many… separating a Wake Forest from an Alabama.

You’re right to say it was an extreme case. It didn’t happen anywhere else in college football.

Yeah it’s not like Mitch was some 5 star recruit who is 6’5 and had all the potential in the world - just needs the right “system” and “tools”. I’m okay with giving a guy like that 4-5 games. On the other end of spectrum - it’s like not he was a G5 or FCS QB who we got in portal that lit it up either at lesser competition and had to “settle in” for ACC football. Those 2 scenarios im okay with win some/lose with NIL money.
But neither one of those applies to Mitch. He was un-proven and not talented on paper. “Well he looks great in practice” is a JV football coach excuse. Love DC but that’s insulting to all of us. A 5’10 non-scrambler cannot play ACC ball- I don’t know care how smart DC and Ruggs think our offense is.

I have other questions, why did Carney lead the team in yards per carry, td's by a rb( ithink0 and have less attempts and why did Ellison start over Claiborne and Carney?
I don’t know hardly any football but I’ve wondered the same.

I have other questions, why did Carney lead the team in yards per carry, td's by a rb( ithink0 and have less attempts and why did Ellison start over Claiborne and Carney?
More mismanagement of skill position players under Clawson. It’s been happening for years.

Sounds like Ellison bailed out the staff with unrealistic NIL expectations and we’ll have Demond and Carney next year. That’s a great combo and one to be excited about.

Yeah Ellison has been a great player for us but no issue with him moving- gave us 4 years in the program and he reached his ceiling

The way Clawson handled the QB situation was a fireable offense. His judgement and decision making with Griffis was inexplicable and unacceptable. What we are seeing now is the fallout from Clawson’s mishandling of the QB. Clawson’s performance over his time at WF warrants giving him an opportunity to fix the mess he created and I am hopeful he will be successful. However, I hope Currie has held him accountable and put him on a short leash. We can not afford the mismanagement that we saw in 2023 again by

More mismanagement of skill position players under Clawson. It’s been happening for years.
JFC…we’ve had one of the top
offenses in the nation for like 4 of the last 5 years. Yeah Clawson doesnt know shit about managing skill players and you could have done better. And we’d have averaged 58 points per game instead of 35. I am continually amazed at how a school that has students so smart can produce so many message board nitwits. One “bad” year and the cockroaches come scurrying out.

JFC…we’ve had one of the top
offenses in the nation for like 4 of the last 5 years. Yeah Clawson doesnt know shit about managing skill players and you could have done better. And we’d have averaged 58 points per game instead of 35. I am continually amazed at how a school that has students so smart can produce so many message board nitwits. One “bad” year and the cockroaches come scurrying out.
No one said that they could’ve done better. He’s making millions of dollars. I pay to watch this team. It’s unquestionable that he mismanaged KW3. Williams was mismanaged. Dortch was mismanaged. Newman was mismanaged. Claiborne and Carney were mismanaged. After the shit with Griffis this year we should be questioning all decisions made by the staff because they apparently put more weight on practice than actual game performance, and they have for a while.

Back